450D SD Cards? Why SD?

If we can hold out for a few more years...the cameras will be able to wirelessly transmit the images to a laptop, palm computer or something like an iPod.

The next generation of photographers will wonder what we are talking about when we sit around reminiscing about 'memory cards'.

Wireless certainly has its uses. In the future it will be a plus, but cards will never be abolished unless cameras begin housing hard drives. Think about location work...

is the 40D Wireless Transmitter out yet? I looked recently and couldn't find it available yet.

It isn't out yet... but I think it is going to be expensive... almost as much as the camera.

Alright, I answered my own question I suppose. After a quick google search, Pictureline has the grip in stock and other forums (dare I say that) have people who have bought this. It's 749 from PictureLine and looks sweet. The reviewer on another board said:

-plug a hard drive into usb port
-write JPEG to CF, and RAW to HD simultaneously, and vise versa
-ahh, go google it for yourself :) this thing looks real nice.

imagine your shooting something important and theres a dude outside in his car eating your packets. Sure hell go though and break the encrpytion later at his lesiure. But hes capturing your raw shots of your wedding, portrait, art, etc.....

only the paranoid survive

imagine your shooting something important and theres a dude outside in his car eating your packets.

ketchup or mustard? I'm not too worried I suppose...

imagine your shooting something important and theres a dude outside in his car eating your packets. Sure hell go though and break the encrpytion later at his lesiure. But hes capturing your raw shots of your wedding, portrait, art, etc.....

only the paranoid survive

Lol now that IS paranoid. Who are you a photographer for, the CIA?

Wireless certainly has its uses. In the future it will be a plus, but cards will never be abolished unless cameras begin housing hard drives. Think about location work...

hard drives are yesterdays news, even the new High Def 1080 camcorders are having solid state memory instead of hard drives.

And there are already Sony compacts with 2gb or 4gb built in memory

Lol now that IS paranoid. Who are you a photographer for, the CIA?

I guess you guys haven't figured out just how easy it is to attach to a bluetooth cellphone and listen in (even insert voice) while some stranger is on a call. You can even issue a call using a cell phone that is in someone's purse/case/pocket without them even knowing. All it takes is a little bit of research with the appropriate software. This is especially easy if the wireless camera device will use a pin of "0000" like everything else....

IMO, the only real use I see for the wireless is in studios.
* Bluetooth range is too short and not 100% reliable for weddings and such.
* It will eat precious battery power
* Bringing a laptop with you is more weight and a hassle.
* Memory is freakin cheap.
* Transfer rate isn't up to par with memory card transfer rates.
* A laptop with a physical harddrive, display, power supply etc... is a WHOLE LOT more prone to failure than solid state memory media cards.

What I can see being useful is a solid state harddrive strapped to my belt patched right to my camera.

I'm just kidding around...but you never know. Maybe you have a 40GB solid state memory device that you put in your pocket or camera bag...and the files are being transferred to that by the camera.
If you haven't seen it, check out the article on POP Photo about the Super Bowl shooters...they want and need wireless...and fast wireless. They want their shots in their clients hands, minutes after the play on the field happened.

For me, the Wireless Grip would be useful at the auto race track. It's a small track, and my wife runs the booth. It would be great if when I take the pictures, she can get them right away. The booth is fairly close to the track, so I could probably set up a router there, and a range extender in the flagstand, and be good to go. That would make us a few extra sales if the drivers knew that once they won, they could immediately get pictures....once they're in the hype of winning all that money.

Well, if you have $3200 and are comfortable with a 2.5 star rating....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820609245

128GB for about $3200. Getcha one of those, an external enclosure, and a 40D w/ WFT-e3a grip, and you're set!

or, just use flash cards.

About 10 years ago, I worked with a company that placed sallish mainframish computers aboard seagoing ships for research (oil drilling related too). Harddrives of that period had a high failure rate due to the not-so-computer-friendly environment. The issue was resolved by replacing their hard drives with solid state SCSI based ones. IIRC, they were like 10k for 30gb... somethign like that. So 128GB for $3200 might seem expensive.. it is not... and soon enough. it will continue to get cheaper so that we will all get to reap their advantages.

I guess you guys haven't figured out just how easy it is to attach to a bluetooth cellphone and listen in (even insert voice) while some stranger is on a call. You can even issue a call using a cell phone that is in someone's purse/case/pocket without them even knowing. All it takes is a little bit of research with the appropriate software. This is especially easy if the wireless camera device will use a pin of "0000" like everything else....

With me, I just don't care.

Either I am shooting in a public place where somebody could take the same exact picture I just took (with a lot less effort than it takes to stand within wireless range and suck off my images), or I am shooting out in the wild (where nobody else is within miles of me).

I mean, if somebody REALLY wants a picture of a zoo animal or a flower or a bug that I just took bad enough to steal it, then they can have it.

Of course, if they asked I would just give it to them anyway.

Information lives to be free, at least around me.

I know people who say the same thing.....

They have $1000s of illegal software they leverage all day long... they usually keep quiet around me since I"m I make living in software.

Ok, you are absolutely correct, let me clarify my statement...

Information that I hold the legal copyright to (stuff that I create and whose ownership is 100 percent MINE) lives to be free. I don't pirate anything, or condone piracy of information theft of any kind...

I don't do photography as a business, it is strictly hobby, and I will share any/all of my stuff if anybody is silly enough to want any of it.

its all got to do with trying to get the every day average joe to buy the camera. its also got the live view, a feature i dont think any "real" photographer would use. i've seen a few SD cards actually SNAP! mind you the kid wasnt being gentle but still it did crack. i personally like CF over sd, its bigger which means harder to loose and harder to break. the pins can be a PITA but just insert right every time and you are golden.

wireless transfer would be awesome, i would love to have a 200GB hard drive sitting in my back pack snap, saved directly to the hard drive, get home plug it in and be done. if you are that paranoid then you shouldn't even be on the computer, on a cell phone, or even using a cordless phone in our house. anything can be hacked into.

solid state will drop probably a good amount end of 2008 closer to 2009, about a year after its been out

Most reactions

New Topics

Back