50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.8 ?

Abdullah AlFedalh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys,

What do you think would be the best lens for fashion photography ?
50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.8 ?

It would be on the canon 500D (not a full frame) 1.6X
:D

By fashion do you run-way or in studio? I am a big fan of the 50mm 1.8 for studio/portrait work. If you are going to working on run-way shots, however, I'm not 100% sure that it will be long enough, but I don't have any experience with this type of shooting. Why not give the $100 50 1.8 a shot and see whether or not you need the extra reach of the 85 1.8. It won't be that big of a loss, and you'll have both focal lengths.

Hope this helps,

Steve M.

My preference would be for the 85mm lens over the 50mm; I just think the longer lens and its narrower angle of view looks better on the majority of shots. On 1.6x, an 85mm lens will force you to be somewhat far back from your subject when doing full-body shots, so if space is a concern, keep in mind that an 85mm on 1.6x is very difficult to use for full body shots unless you have about 10 meters of distance between the camera and the subject.

yup.. depends on working distances. If its a runway, how far is the runway? If its a studio, how big is the studio.

Do you research and form your opinion on the 50mm f1.8 as someone stevemuzos mentioned... the 50mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8 might be a good enough combination for you.

By fashion do you run-way or in studio? I am a big fan of the 50mm 1.8 for studio/portrait work. If you are going to working on run-way shots, however, I'm not 100% sure that it will be long enough, but I don't have any experience with this type of shooting. Why not give the $100 50 1.8 a shot and see whether or not you need the extra reach of the 85 1.8. It won't be that big of a loss, and you'll have both focal lengths.

Hope this helps,

Steve M.

It would be on a run way, Oh well I can't try a lens cause I'll be ordering it online since here where I live a lens would cost 3 times more ! So I just want to do it one time instead of paying for shipping twice :)

My preference would be for the 85mm lens over the 50mm; I just think the longer lens and its narrower angle of view looks better on the majority of shots. On 1.6x, an 85mm lens will force you to be somewhat far back from your subject when doing full-body shots, so if space is a concern, keep in mind that an 85mm on 1.6x is very difficult to use for full body shots unless you have about 10 meters of distance between the camera and the subject.

Oh, I have the space I think :) so If I have the space would you think 85mm 1.8 would be great for a 1.6x frame ?

yup.. depends on working distances. If its a runway, how far is the runway? If its a studio, how big is the studio.

Do you research and form your opinion on the 50mm f1.8 as someone stevemuzos mentioned... the 50mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8 might be a good enough combination for you.

About space, I don't have any problem :)
I can get the space I need.

Guys I'm talking about 50mm 1.4 not 1.8 if that makes any differences

Doesnt make a huge difference. Build quality and slightly wider aperture between the 1.8 and 1.4. Both are capable lenses.

As pointed out by others, your biggest dilema in choosing between the two is the focal lenght, aperture is secondary.

If you are shooting a runway, I'm assuming its at least decently light up (so the models dont fall off), so I doubt you'd be shooting at 1.4, but you never know.

Doesnt make a huge difference. Build quality and slightly wider aperture between the 1.8 and 1.4. Both are capable lenses.

As pointed out by others, your biggest dilema in choosing between the two is the focal lenght, aperture is secondary.

If you are shooting a runway, I'm assuming its at least decently light up (so the models dont fall off), so I doubt you'd be shooting at 1.4, but you never know.

1.8 is also good for shooting in runways I guess ..
If really wanting to get the 85mm
As I did my search on flickr and I wanted to have pictures like

2849722769_442da57d79.jpg

Depending on how close you are, you can get that picture with a 50mm as well ;)

I really love both lenses but use the 50mm 1.4 about 80% of the time and the 85mm 1.8 the other 20% of the time. Remember that the 50mm on the DX is about 80mm anyway. I find the 50mm much more versatile and tend to grab that without thinking now.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back