50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor for a nikon d40

chemhaznet1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i was just wondering if i'd be able to use this with my d40. since its not af-s i won't be able to use autofocus right? if that the case then i'm ok with it. am i right that i'll have no autofocus, or am i even going to be able to use this lens?

It's manual all the way. Other than that yup -

I don't know how the D40 operates, but if theres a "your in focus" indicator that shows in the viewfinder, you should be fine.

yes i have an indicator, down in the lower left corner. thats great news!! now i wonder if i should just buy the 1.4 or the 1.8....is there a huge difference?? :confused:

I would get the 1.8 - they sale cheap new, even cheaper used, and realistically the difference between the two isn't worth the price for a 1.4.

Do yourself a favor and turn off the auto focusing on your kit lens, and spend a day manual focusing it (checking the results) before you get too excited about how your D40 will perform with a non-autofocus lens.

I agree with sabbath. I have a D200 with the older AI 50mm f/1.8. No autofocus there. Even though you have a focus indicator provided in the view finder it is a far cry from a split prism screen in older SLRs. I find it very difficult to focus quickly meaning that I only ever get respectable shots if my subject does not move. It may be worth hanging out to see if an AF-S model is released. If not then go for it. It's not expensive and it's very sharp!

What about this bad boy Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM as an equivalent to the Nikon 50mm f/1.8? Then you would have the auto-focus.

have a good one
3Eo

Eek. Those two are certainly not equivalent in price. It seems to be an exceptionally popular lens though.

Those two are certainly not equivalent in price.

I was thinking more about quality and usage...........?????????

have a good one
3Eo

thank you everyone for your suggestions. i have spent some time focusing manually and i actually really enjoy doing it. it is very slow at times and i find it to be difficult with that itty bitty indicator they give you, but i still love doing it. i'm set on buying that 1.8 50mm nikon lens and i'll probably get it right after i pay this semesters tuition.

i love this forum, everyone is so helpful! ;)

Most reactions

Back