zeto88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
50mm f/1.4G AF-S VS 50mm f/1.4D

Ahh, so many choices!
Which is better?
I already know the 50mm f/1.4D you have to change the aperture on the lense, and with the AF-S, it's done electronically.
Though, which would you choose?

yeah I saw the 'D' and realized you were probably talking about the 2 f/1.4 lenses so i took that down. sorry, nothing to add then.

Really looking for some help on this one, I'm purchasing it today.

50mm f/1.4G AF-S VS 50mm f/1.4D

I already know the 50mm f/1.4D you have to change the aperture on the lense, and with the AF-S, it's done electronically.

Actually I believe it's not the aperture but the autofocus.

If you have a Nikon body without a screw drive in the body for the autofocus mechanism you will have to focus manually with the AF-D. The AF-S version will focus on the non-screw drive bodies. You don't mention what body you're using but if it's a D40/D40x/D60 you will want the AF-S version unless you want to manually focus all the time.

I have a Nikon D90.
So if I don't have the AF-S, I'll need to manually focus it?

Nope, the D90 will drive the autofocus mechanism on that lens.

So the 50mm f/1.4D, the only difference is the manual aperture changing?
( I think I'd prefer that )

No it's not manual. The aperture will still go to whatever you want. Just when you put it on the camera you have to have it at 1.8 or 22 not sure and then you can adjust it through the camera all day long. Put it in A adjust the aperture and you're fine.
TJ

Both will change aperture's electronically. Get the 1.4G unless u find a crazy deal on the D

So the 50mm f/1.4D, the only difference is the manual aperture changing?
( I think I'd prefer that )

No, there is no difference in operation on your camera body. The presence of an aperture ring is only important if you're camera requires one, which no nikon digital slr ever has (the nikon f4 of the late 80's was the last to set aperture on the lens).

Typically afs lenses focus faster and quieter then AF lenses, but the 50mm af focuses really fast. There's really no good reason to buy the 50mm afs if your body doesn't require it (yours doesn't).

Can someone explain what the actual difference is between a "D" or a "G" lens? I'm trying to learn all this stuff and as a total noobie, it's quite difficult to determine the differences. I have no idea what the "D" or "G" even means. :grumpy:

Also, sometimes I've seen ED or AF-S (I know it's auto focus, but what's the S mean?) or ED IF or ED II. Ugh, is there any easy explanation for all these letters and what they mean? Thanks!! :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back