580EX II - still not sure if it's working

Mystwalker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been reading everything about 580EXII on this forum and thanks to everyone who posted - I finally got 580EX II to work as a flash. I still think the auto-sensor (is there such a thing) is broken in ETTL but at least I can get good exposures when in "M" mode.

Last couple days, after reading about it here, I changed to "M" mode. I played with flash from 1/1 through 1/8 and even in close to complete darkness I can get good shots - this baby is BRIGHT.

I have been shooting in Av mode and did notice that whether I shoot f/4 or f/22, the camera will always have shutter at 1/8000. Is this normal? Especially when it is almost completely dark?

Still going to send flash and 30D to Canon for them to check the ETTL problems but am enjoying "M" mode for now. 580EXII is everything I thought a flash should do when buying it :thumbup:

I have been shooting in Av mode and did notice that whether I shoot f/4 or f/22, the camera will always have shutter at 1/8000. Is this normal? Especially when it is almost completely dark?
If you have the flash in manual mode, but the camera in any of the auto modes, I think the camera is trying to compensate for that. So, in your situation, with the flash at 1/1...it would be so bright that it would be overexposed, even at F22 & 1/8000. (that's a theory anyway).

The 580EX II has a new feature...the auto sensor. From what I've read (and seen tests)...their auto sensor is crap...or at least the metering with it, is crap. So just forget about that and use either E-TTL or manual. By the way, E-TTL metering is done by the camera. (Through The Lens).

Sorry - I often misuse terms.

I think the E-TTL mode is broken. I thought that was measured by flash, but since camera is doing it - camera must be having issues.

Oh well - I'm good with "M" mode until I can get it out to Canon service.

E-TTL is done, by the camera, with a pre-flash from the flash...so it could be a problem with either unit.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back