5D Issue...

Have you tried a new card yet

Haven't had a chance yet. I had to go shoot (with my backup), and am now winding down a bit before heading to bed. I'll check that before I hit the pillow...

shutter is very slightly off on the right side, causing it to close very slightly out of sync. This is causing both the overly hot exposure up there, and the distortion. It's hanging right as it closes on that side, and then catching up by snapping forward. That's what's causing the distortion, as the shutter snaps back into sync with the rest. But for a tiny fraction of a second it's out of whack. Pretty soon the shutter will completely stop working if you shoot it much more before having it serviced. I definitely recommend getting it serviced before you shoot anymore, as the angle means it's not happening evenly, which is going to put stress on the shutter.

We had this same issue with one of our 5DIIs at work. I can't remember how much it cost to get fixed, but it wasn't expensive.

also, can you post shutter speeds for each of the photos you posted?

Thanks for the input, everyone.

I'm pretty sure it's the shutter. I spent the better part of an hour on the phone with someone far more knowledgeable than I. While I can't give you the Cliff Notes version of what he said, everything he said points to the shutter.

Regardless, this is why God made back-ups, and I have just today and tomorrow to shoot at this gig. When I get to Florida, my brother knows a repairman in Ormond Beach who he highly recommends. We'll see how that goes. I think I'll put my threshold for pain at $300.00 for a repair. Anything more than that and it's time to start looking at replacements.

Thanks, again!

Thanks for the input, everyone.

I'm pretty sure it's the shutter. I spent the better part of an hour on the phone with someone far more knowledgeable than I. While I can't give you the Cliff Notes version of what he said, everything he said points to the shutter.

Regardless, this is why God made back-ups, and I have just today and tomorrow to shoot at this gig. When I get to Florida, my brother knows a repairman in Ormond Beach who he highly recommends. We'll see how that goes. I think I'll put my threshold for pain at $300.00 for a repair. Anything more than that and it's time to start looking at replacements.

Thanks, again!
Time for the 5d mark 3 Steve. We will have a burial service though. ;)

Well, I finally got the 5D into the shop yesterday. I'm expecting the repair to be in the sub-$300.00 range, at which point I'll have the camera repaired. If it's more than that, I'll have to reconsider having it repaired and look at the option of replacement.

I've got the 40D, but I just feel out of sorts without the full frame. There truly is no "going back"...

$310.00 for a new shutter and a sensor cleaning (no charge for that). It's certainly at the high end of the spectrum, but at least I know I'll have a new shutter. If I replaced it with another pre-owned camera, there's no telling when it could all go south on me...

Good news, you are back up and running. Did they say how many shots the new one should last?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back