"A Conversation Between Land and Sky"

bishopsmead

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
adamclutterbuck.com
A slightly elaborate title...

I'm having trouble with this shot, I really want to make it work, but either the land is too dark, or the sky becomes too pale. Whenever I get clever and try to selectively darken/lighten, the horizon becomes obviously fake...

Anyway, you may feel it is about as good as it can get... I have used curves to get as far as I can...

39618387.jpg

My feeling is: crop the sky immediately above the cloud and already you win some.

I agree wit with the crop, also, have you tried to saturate a bit? That might help. But it is still a good pic if you don't do anything. :)

Neutral density filter would help you with your problem. you might want to shoot at dawn or dusk, at least check out other times of the day and lighting conditions. the direct overhead light does bad things to forms and shadows. probably be nice at sunset...

trouble is of course:

the location is a long way away
the composition is all about that cloud

So really, this is all I have to go on...

I absolutely take on board grads will help with similar shots in the future.

Thanks for your input!

yes definately, although I wanted to avoid the band of lightness at the horizon... I suspect a grad filter would have had a similar effect! Looks a lot better though.

Stray from boring! This shot can be color enhanced, but why not make it a bit dramatic. What do you think of these?

39618387_new.jpg

39618387_new_2.jpg

I dunno... I like your original post. The fence line leading us up to the cloud is a nice element. Rather than a crop, have you tried adding to the top, extending the sky upward with a bit of vignetting.

I do like the title!

-Pete Christie

This one has gone well - a fairly complex curves adjustment and some selective darkening of the sky.

Pretty happy with this version...
medium.jpg

Thanks for all your ideas and suggestions!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back