a couple of recent portraits

chuasam

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Damn I am in LOVE with my Nikkor 105mm f/1.4E
If I could buy it a Valentine's Card, I totally would.

Here's a few images from shoots this week.
DSC_8147.jpg

DSC_8469-Edit.jpg

I want one.

Still working on justifying the price to myself though.

I want one.

I wept the day it was announced.
I saved for 6 months, I sold my old AF-S 85mm f/1.8G
It was totally worth it!
I have never seen a lens that good.
If you don't want to spend that much, the Sigma ART 85mm f/1.4 is supposedly amazeballs. (and USD 1,000 less)

I want one.

It was totally worth it!
If you don't want to spend that much, the Sigma ART 85mm f/1.4 is supposedly amazeballs. (and USD 1,000 less)

I'll probably buy one if I start booking more portrait sessions, but strictly because it's so damn sexy. That bokeh is amazing.

I want one.

It was totally worth it!
Ywah i am going with the sigma at least until i have all my focal lengths covered. Maybe next year ir year and a half I will be able to justify it. Might wait until I have 2 cameras.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Great stuff. I really want a prime lens around that range. 135mm is a bit long, and I sometimes want a bit more compression than what I get from my 85mm.

The light in the first shot is a bit flat and I find myself wishing it was sculpting his features a bit more. Love the second shot, although there are a couple of spots that I think could use a very subtle bit of dodging and burning on her skin (burn the bright spot coming from the corner of her mouth on the right side of the image, and dodge some dark spots along the hairline and above the eyebrow on the right side).

Last edited:
love the second one and agree with what Dan said

Chopped heads are a pet peeve of mine, so take that critique as just a personal preference.
Not sure on the horizontal crop, but again, that also might just fall under personal taste. Otherwise, I really love #2.

#1 looks fantastic. It's just the type of portrait lighting i like, and the pose is great.
I guess you just like horizontal crops. :)

Sent via Synchronized Cardioversion

Very nice!! I would so love to have this lens, but that's out of my price range. Having said that, these are great photos regardless of the lens. I like the horizontal frame!

Great stuff. I really want a prime lens around that range. 135mm is a bit long, and I sometimes want a bit more compression than what I get from my 85mm.

The light in the first shot is a bit flat and I find myself wishing it was sculpting his features a bit more. Love the second shot, although there are a couple of spots that I think could use a very subtle bit of dodging and burning on her skin (burn the bright spot coming from the corner of her mouth on the right side of the image, and dodge some dark spots along the hairline and above the eyebrow on the right side).

Thanks Dan, both were ambient light. The hot spot on her lip is actual pigment discolouration. I could colour that in.
Image one : shot in a gazebo in a snow covered park on a cloudy day hahha softest possible light.

I'll post more from the shoot later.

If you use Nikon, go out there and get the lens. It is the most utterly amazing lens I've ever used.

Chopped heads are a pet peeve of mine, so take that critique as just a personal preference.
Not sure on the horizontal crop, but again, that also might just fall under personal taste. Otherwise, I really love #2.

#1 looks fantastic. It's just the type of portrait lighting i like, and the pose is great.
I guess you just like horizontal crops. :)

Sent via Synchronized Cardioversion

Horizontal crop echoes movie and tv screens that these actors use these photos for. I like horizontal because it fits my website better.
Overfilling the frame by cropping the top of the head brings in a closeness and intimacy and draws you to the eyes.

It's a trend right now too.

When people start viewing casting images more on iPads and other mobile devices we might trend back to verticals.

Thanks Dan, both were ambient light. The hot spot on her lip is actual pigment discolouration. I could colour that in.
Image one : shot in a gazebo in a snow covered park on a cloudy day hahha softest possible light.

If you use Nikon, go out there and get the lens. It is the most utterly amazing lens I've ever used.
Not sure if we're talking about the same spot lol.
screen_shot_2017_02_16_at_12_47_15_pm_by_danostergren-dazagdu.png

I shoot with Canon and it's unlikely I'll be switching sides any time soon. I have my eyes on a couple of 100mm lenses, just have to save up a little bit. I loved my 135mm lens, but honestly I have a bit of an aversion to expensive lenses when there is usually a much less expensive lens that will do the job just fine.

Not sure if we're talking about the same spot lol.
screen_shot_2017_02_16_at_12_47_15_pm_by_danostergren-dazagdu.png

I shoot with Canon and it's unlikely I'll be switching sides any time soon. I have my eyes on a couple of 100mm lenses, just have to save up a little bit. I loved my 135mm lens, but honestly I have a bit of an aversion to expensive lenses when there is usually a much less expensive lens that will do the job just fine.
ahhh was talking about other side of her face.
Here's a few others from the same shoots
DSC_8681-Edit.jpg
DSC_8194-Edit.jpg

The 105mm f/1.4E cost about the same as my 70-200 f/2.8G VRII but does a much better job of portraiture.

Last edited:
There is no other, less-expensive lens that has this type of lens drawing style or resolving ability or contrast or perfection of bokeh without harshness. This is one of the finest lenses made in the last decade. Period. The images this lens creates look a LOT like those from the 200mm f/2 VR Nikkor in most ways, but this lens is smaller, lighter, and several thousand dollars less costly. The degree of visual impression this new 105mm lens stamps on images made at portrait distances is staggeringly high.

I hear that the new sigma art 85 is very good too

Most reactions

Back