A DSLR for my birthday,question is which one?

lunaaa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,my parents are getting me a dslr camera for my birthday:hugs: thats in 2 weeks problem is i dont know which dslr camera suits me best,i love taking pictures but i always had point and shoot cameras and i'm not exactly a professional but i like to be one and i plan on practicing alot.
any recommendations? ,can anyone tell me what camera are they using and why do they like it? and even post a picture taken with their camera would be a great help.
p.s i'm thinking about Canon 450D ,what do you think about it?

Hi everyone,my parents are getting me a dslr camera for my birthday:hugs: thats in 2 weeks problem is i dont know which dslr camera suits me best,i love taking pictures but i always had point and shoot cameras and i'm not exactly a professional but i like to be one and i plan on practicing alot.
any recommendations? ,can anyone tell me what camera are they using and why do they like it? and even post a picture taken with their camera would be a great help.
p.s i'm thinking about Canon 450D ,what do you think about it?

Any entry-level dSLR camera suits you best at this point. Just get one and start learning how to use it. You won't have much in the way of $$$'s invested if you decide to switch brands in a year or so. There is a very active used dSLR market so you'd be able to sell whatever you have.

Practice helps, but is only part of becoming a pro. You also need to learn how photography works (technical) and how photographs works (art).

So I recommend 2 inexpensive, paperbound books to accompany your birthday present:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275177390&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure: How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera (Updated Edition)…[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Picture-This-How-Pictures-Work/dp/1587170302/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275177414&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Picture This: How Pictures Work (9781587170300): Molly Bang: Books[/ame]

Happy birthday, in advance.

Last edited:
I'll play spokesperson and suggest the one Keith is selling (KmH) right above my post! I took a peek at his listing, that is an amazing deal and would carry you a long way :)

All DSLRs, from $400 to $4000 are about 90% the same. Go to a store, try some out and decide which one feels the best in your hands and is the easiest for you to control.

All DSLRs, from $400 to $4000 are about 90% the same. Go to a store, try some out and decide which one feels the best in your hands and is the easiest for you to control.

Nikon D3000 vs Nikon D700.... phfffffff lmao

They are not 90% the same. Here is what I will say though, cameras made by different brands, namely canon and nikon, at the same price are 90% the same. And cameras made by Nikon or Canon around the same price are relatively (50%) the same.

what is the budget?? I doubt your parents are going to spend 3k to get you a camera.

I wouldn't shoot Canon....They're so clumsy to me. But that's just my opinion. Nikons have much simpler faces, and when you're starting out, that's the most important thing- something you can learn on.

Nikon glass (Especially the kit lenses) is also the bee'z kneez. G'luck.

what is the budget?? I doubt your parents are going to spend 3k to get you a camera.

they're not willing to pay more than 800 dollars,is it a very low budget?

I wouldn't shoot Canon....They're so clumsy to me. But that's just my opinion. Nikons have much simpler faces, and when you're starting out, that's the most important thing- something you can learn on.

Nikon glass (Especially the kit lenses) is also the bee'z kneez. G'luck.

that's avaluable tip . i dont want to be stuck on a camera that i dont understand how to use its features it would take alot to learn

Keith,thanks for the useful advice. and true if i get a canon 400D and practice well on how to use it and maybe later i can invest in another advanced one.

I'll play spokesperson and suggest the one Keith is selling (KmH) right above my post! I took a peek at his listing, that is an amazing deal and would carry you a long way :)

very active spokesperson you are :lol:

~£800 budget, Thats great!

£300 max - second hand Canon 20D from ebay (probably includes a lens.)
~ £100 - Canon 20D compatible battery grip
£80 - a good camera bag (lowepro slingshot aw 300 is great.)
£12 - Compact flash adapter (to use sd cards instead of a cf which are much dearer)
£20 - 4x4gb sd cards at rating "2"

thats £510 all in so far meaning you have £290 to spend on a lens or a tripod

I have the 450D, as nice as it is, it feels too fake for me, its body is made from hard plastic whereas the canon 20D is made of a magnesium body and feels tougher and is a little more weighted (Thats a good thing)
and the 20D has a brilliant sensor (according to online review / comparison sites)
and it is cheaper than the 450D when bought second hand.
the 20D is a semi-pro body and the 450D is an budget body

Lots of varied answers! And some funny ones too :) Esp the all DSLRS from 400 to 4k are 90% the same - made me chuckle.

Anyway, back to advice. If you have been using a point & shoot then almost any DSLR within the £500 price bracket will no doubt bring you delight and open up your world of photographic possibilities. I am now a solid Nikon user - but I'm not going to preach Nikon to you. I started out with a Samsung GX-10 (rebadged pentax K-10) because it was all i could afford. I could not do what i do now with it, but thats because you progress and should hit the limits of your camera - it allows you to find out whats important to you personally when you look to upgrade next time. At the time that Samsung was my upgrade from a point and shoot and it did everything I could have wanted and more - I loved it.

A canon 450d sounds great. Looking at the bigger picture I would say any dslr within this price range from top names will be great for you. I went for Nikon because I needed low light performance and in almost all price brackets Nikon are better at high iso/low noise - think the canon 450 equivilent would be nikon d5000 and thats also better in low light too. Thats said - Canons reputation speaks for itself.

Whatever you get - I hope you enjoy it!

Lots of varied answers! And some funny ones too :) Esp the all DSLRS from 400 to 4k are 90% the same - made me chuckle.

Anyway, back to advice. If you have been using a point & shoot then almost any DSLR within the £500 price bracket will no doubt bring you delight and open up your world of photographic possibilities. I am now a solid Nikon user - but I'm not going to preach Nikon to you. I started out with a Samsung GX-10 (rebadged pentax K-10) because it was all i could afford. I could not do what i do now with it, but thats because you progress and should hit the limits of your camera - it allows you to find out whats important to you personally when you look to upgrade next time. At the time that Samsung was my upgrade from a point and shoot and it did everything I could have wanted and more - I loved it.

A canon 450d sounds great. Looking at the bigger picture I would say any dslr within this price range from top names will be great for you. I went for Nikon because I needed low light performance and in almost all price brackets Nikon are better at high iso/low noise - think the canon 450 equivilent would be nikon d5000 and thats also better in low light too. Thats said - Canons reputation speaks for itself.

Whatever you get - I hope you enjoy it!

Thanks for the advice
but i have a couple of questions and please pardon my poor knowledge.I've been reading this term over and over "noise" and i dont really understand what it means?
I also noticed that photos shot with Nikon camera have better color quality than canon's is that because of the lens used or the camera itself?
sorry if my questions seem silly:blushing:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back