A few photos for critique

Badger711

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've just started with portraits, and would like some advice/criticism on the few photos I've taken. Anything and everything is appreciated! :mrgreen:

DSC_2825 by Dalton Lund, on Flickr

Nikon D70s
50mm 1.8D
1/125
f/2
ISO 400

DSC_2805 by Dalton Lund, on Flickr

Nikon D70s
50mm 1.8D
1/60
f/5
ISO 400

I know this one is slightly out of focus and blurred due to the wide open aperture/slower shutter speed I was using. Other than that, what could I have done better?

DSC_2840 by Dalton Lund, on Flickr

Nikon D70s
50mm 1.8D
1/125
f/2
ISO 400

DSC_2798 by Dalton Lund, on Flickr

Nikon D70s
50mm 1.8D
1/160
f/2
ISO 400

Thanks in advance!

No offense, but those aren't really 'portraits'.... they're more like 'candids'.

That aside:

1. The arms don't look like they belong. In fact, to me it appears someone is hiding behind her holding the coffee cup.

2. Eyes are 'shifty'. In my book, the eyes should be centered.

3. Straight-on, on-camera-flash smile-for-the-camera capture.

4. Eyes out of focus. Eyes should always be in focus.

Difference being?

*note, I'm in the beginner forum for a reason, lol.

Difference being?

*note, I'm in the beginner forum for a reason, lol.

To me, a portrait is where everything is meticulously controlled... posing... lighting.... background... focus point.... DOF.... framing..... cropping.... hairs out of place..... makeup....

Having sunglasses on the top of one's head (reflecting the ceiling fan no less) makes it a 'candid'.

Gotcha. Makes sense. This was my first "shoot" for lack of a better term, just picked up the 50mm lens. Looking to get an SB-600 or better in the near future. Obviously most of these shots weren't really posed or anything. I was just practicing at a family gathering. None the less thanks for the input.

For the candids they are, they're really not all that bad.

Golly! There's even a convenient link right in the Photograpy Beginner's Forum description: some skip reading the fine print

Photography Beginners' Forum
Don’t be shy. Use one of the forums in the - Photo Galleries - Photos submitted by members for general display or critique - section of TPF if you want C&C improvement tips on some of the photos you have taken. For equipment specific questions, use one of the forums in theCamera Forum section of TPF. Brushing up on some of the basics? The Beginner's forum is for asking basic technical photographic questions about things like shutter speed, aperture, ISO, white balance, metering modes, focusing modes.

All of the photos have very distracting backgrounds.

1. Shot from about 2 feet too high, light is a bit harsh/hot.
2. underexposed, bad background and pose looks like a photobomb.
3. Flat light, double-chin, boring pose.
4. Flat light, busy background.

They aren't bad, but those are just the first things that jump out at me that you could improve on. Get the light at 3/4 so that there is some shadow to their faces and don't be afraid to ask people to move/tilt/shift their heads.. also play around with your own vantage point. also, if you were shooting "wide open" you wouldn't get camera shake as that implies a larger aperture and faster shutter speeds, especially at ISO 400.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back