A full photoshop workflow

I found it under "enhance".

Elements won't do anything for 16 bit images so you have to drop down to 8bit. You will also need to google up a curves editor download and a layermask download (there are freeware versions of both online if you hunt around). With those the only real thing that elements lacks from the process is the blending tool (elements does have some blending features, but lacks that main dialogue that he brings up).

The dodge and burn we also have ot do slightly differently - copy the base layer then select a brush - set it to max size and paint over the image with grey (go to the colour pallet and set the custom colour to h 350, s 0, b 50 with r, g and b to 127 to get grey). After that set the layer to overlay and then black and white with the brush will give you burn and dodge.

Can I have a curves editor plug-in like the one shown in the video? That would make some things easier. Also, I actually have a burn and dodge tool. I have elements 8.

True even elements 6 has the burn and dodge tool and you can use those instead of the grey layer that he suggests - I got the feeling that he prefers that mode and that it might be a little more accurate - though I suspect it might also just be what is going on in the background of using the dodge and burn tools themselves.
And yes there are curves plugins out there for elements :
Curves for Photoshop Elements 4 and Above - Photo Tips @ Earthbound Light
And a free layermask tool as well
Free Layer Mask Tool for Photoshop Elements (Win/Mac Any Version)

Wow you're quick to reply. That curves link, when I click on the "easy.filter Smart Curve" link, I think is broken. I can't get anything to respond.

And the whole layer/mask thing, doesn't elements have a simple version of that already?

Last edited:
Elements does, but its limited to only certain layers - eg conrast, levels, saturation - you can't have a layer mask over a duplicate layer and that can be limiting at times. The free mask just fits over any layer in the layers pallet.
As for curves - darn - look around I seem to recall there were two links to different curves addons there -if that fails fire up google and see what you can find

i have a question, what is that software most photographers use in mag photoshoot where they can hookup their dslr to a larger screen like lcd screen or computer and preview their subject before they actually press the shutter button?

and one more what's the best photoshop software for a amateur like me?

thank you

Most reactions

Back