A new camera bag

DCerezo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Now I'm not the type of guy to take every piece of gear I own to every job, but I'm looking for a bag I can grow into, or at least throw everything I have in it and go if need be.

My kit so far:

D600 gripped, 24-85mm 2.8-4 d, 24mm, 50mm, sb-910, sb-700, charger, and some small stuff like Filters, cards, phone, note pad, possibly iPad...

I was looking at the Crumpler 7 million dollar home, or the lowepro adventura 170... If there are any other bags I'm overlooking let me know. I prefer a messenger style bag that I can work out of. I have the Manfrotto Unica VII and the Adventura 140 but they're both too small for me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have a lowepro bag now for years which I literally put through a beating over the years and it holds up perfect. So I can vote for lowepro quality.

Everything? You like to lug everything around? I hear NASA has a few things for sale. :lmao:

I'm the same way. I upsized my bag recently in order to be able to fit ALL my gear in it which includes: nikon d7000, 12-24 lens, 18-200 lens, 70-300 lens, 35mm prime lens, sb 700 flash with spare batteries, lens cleaner, few filters, some cables, memory cards and I can even attach my tripod to the side of the bag. This all fits in the lowepro 302A (I think that's the model). Anyways I'm starting to realize that maybe taking everything with me all the time is not the best approach, however being still relatively new, I still have a hard time judging what I will or won't need so I adapted the better safe than sorry approach - although it does he heavy carrying all this gear. If I add just a single more lens to my collection Ill be breaking up my stuff and taking what I need only.

I'm the same way. I upsized my bag recently in order to be able to fit ALL my gear in it which includes: nikon d7000, 12-24 lens, 18-200 lens, 70-300 lens, 35mm prime lens, sb 700 flash with spare batteries, lens cleaner, few filters, some cables, memory cards and I can even attach my tripod to the side of the bag. This all fits in the lowepro 302A (I think that's the model). Anyways I'm starting to realize that maybe taking everything with me all the time is not the best approach, however being still relatively new, I still have a hard time judging what I will or won't need so I adapted the better safe than sorry approach - although it does he heavy carrying all this gear. If I add just a single more lens to my collection Ill be breaking up my stuff and taking what I need only.

I'm moving in the opposite direction. I only take what I know I'll need. And that depends on what I'm shooting.

Just a family get-together? D7000 w/grip, 18-105 and SD600.
Sporting event? D600 w/grip, 24-85, 70-300, 500 and monopod.
Walk through the woods? D600 no grip, 17-35, 50, 105, tripod, CPL and VND.

I've got a closet full of dusty shoulder bags, backpacks, slings and holsters.... Temba, Lowepro, Crumpler, Domke, Kata (and the list goes on).

The best bag I've ever owned is the Think Tank Retrospective. I have beat the living crap out of this bag for the past 3 years and its still going strong. It's protected my gear from rain, snow, dessert heat, falls down bleachers, impacts with linebackers and more. Find a local dealer and check them out... Think Tank makes great gear.

Im with 480sparky. I used to take all my stuff where ever I went, but now:

Everytime I go out/Walk around : 24-70
Land/Cityscape: 14-24
Wildlife: Bigma

And of course a tripod with any of the above combo. Face it carrying 30 pounds of equipment makes you miserable and not enjoy photography, unless you have too.

Im with 480sparky. I used to take all my stuff where ever I went, but now:

I may not lug everything around, but I stuff a lot of it in the truck so it's nearby. I've been known to hoof it back to the parking lot to get something for 'that shot'.

If you read the first sentence of my post... I don't take all my gear with me ever. I'd just like a bag that can fit it all... You know, for storing it at home and the like.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I just read about the LowePro Slingshot bag. It's a hybrid between a backpack and a messenger bag. It wears like a backpack while you're walking but quickly slides into a messenger bag when you need to access the inside quickly.

Review: Lowepro SlingShot 202 AW | TechCrunch

I just read about the LowePro Slingshot bag. It's a hybrid between a backpack and a messenger bag. It wears like a backpack while you're walking but quickly slides into a messenger bag when you need to access the inside quickly.

This will likely not fit all his stuff. I agree it's a nice bag and I have it but it will fit his ungripped camera with two lenses and some miscellaneous accessories, that's pretty much it. If this route is taken, then I'd go with a Lowepro Slingshot 3O2 (have this also), which will fit all his stuff and can still be carried around. It's just a bigger version of the bag.

I'm moving in the opposite direction. I only take what I know I'll need. And that depends on what I'm shooting.

Just a family get-together? D7000 w/grip, 18-105 and SD600.
Sporting event? D600 w/grip, 24-85, 70-300, 500 and monopod.
Walk through the woods? D600 no grip, 17-35, 50, 105, tripod, CPL and VND.

I think I'm going to start doing that soon and see how it goes.

This will likely not fit all his stuff. I agree it's a nice bag and I have it but it will fit his ungripped camera with two lenses and some miscellaneous accessories, that's pretty much it. If this route is taken, then I'd go with a Lowepro Slingshot 3O2 (have this also), which will fit all his stuff and can still be carried around. It's just a bigger version of the bag.
I know, I posted that one cause that was a review of the bag in general so he could get more info on it plus it mentioned the other sizes it came in as well.

Most reactions

Back