A Question regarding equipment selection

fotogenik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have recently purchased my Nikon D50 with a kit lens (or a replacement kit lens a little worse than the normal kit lens) and have been studying all the different lenses and flashes available to me.

I have begun to see 3 major mainstream lenses that work with my camera, Sigma, Nikon (Nikkor), and Tamron, (with a few other minor manufacturers thrown in there as well). Of the three main ones I have mentioned, is there an order to the quality of each of these manufacturer's? I think it goes something like Sigma, Nikon, Tamron, just from what I have been able to read and based on prices for equivalent lenses, but I would like some second opinions before I go running off with my own asumptions.

Also regarding flashes, the book that came with my d50 states to only use Nikon flashes due to voltages and stuff, is this a hard fast rule or manufacturer snowjobbing? I have seen many flashes that state they are compatible with my d50 for MUCH cheaper than the manufacturer flashes (albeit not quite as good with quality or features, but thats ok for the learning mode I am in). I don't want to buy a flash and then find out it damaged my equipment.

Thanks for your time,

Out of those three brands, most will agree that the majority of Nikon lenses are better than their Sigma or Tamron counterparts. This is not always the case, but for the most part. You should probably first look at Nikon lenses, and determine what focal lenghts you want to buy, then read reviews of all of the brands for that focal length.

There are third party flashes available, and while I cannot gurantee, I'm pretty sure they will not damage your camera. I use a third party flash for my Canon, and while it doesn't work with the camera as well as a Canon, it does not damage it.

Every lens manufacturer has some gems and some stinkers in it's line-up. You will have to do some research to find out which ones are better than the others....but price is often the first indicator. The more expensive, usually the better...although, Sigma & Tamron may have a better price than Nikon on comparable lenses.

When using off brand flash units, the main concern is trigger voltage. Find out what you camera will handle. You can check for the flash units here.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back