A request, please.

78datsunb210.jpg

laugh if you will!!:meh:
This was my first car... it was Datsun at the time but it's Nissan now... man i miss that thing. Yeah it smelled of rotting fish bait, had tires made completely of "fix a flat" , and was dubbed "The Rollerskate" but I still miss that thing. And it was soooooooooo easy to work on.

oh BTW C- manual trans can be a pain in town especially in a hilly town like oxford but it's the only way to go IMO. You have so much more control over the car's performance. and "nope" it's not too hard to learn and it will be second nature in no time.

core_17 said:
One more quick question...I'm considering going with a manual transmission, but I do not yet know who to drive stick. Is it too terribly hard to learn?

No it's not that hard at all. My friend just learnt. Just don't feel pressured by other drivers. When you stall just ignore the honks...if you can. Take your time and one day you'll realize you're doing it without even thinking.

bace said:
No it's not that hard at all. My friend just learnt. Just don't feel pressured by other drivers. When you stall just ignore the honks...if you can. Take your time and one day you'll realize you're doing it without even thinking.

Thanks Bace. I appreciate it. I'm seriouly considering it. Before it was out of the question because of my bad knees and surgeries...there were times in which I would have one leg kinda outta commision, and it wasn't strong enough to push down the pedals...but...I've had my surgeries and I have use of both legs now! :lol: And then I'd be able to drive my mom's convertible mustang (even though I hate fords), too! Haha. Thanks again! I'm off to test drive now!

EDIT: Mygrain, didn't see that you answered, too...thanks! You guys are giving me some more confidence. :)

clarinetJWD said:
Huh? never thought I'd hear someone say that... :scratch:

I agree with you with the reliability thing, though. Don't buy Korean cars, there's a reason they're cheap.

Haha.... ok.. well maybe not BEAUTIFUL, but there is one model of Hyundai running around that looks really nice. I haven't seen which one it is, but they have come a LONG way from where they are. Of course they still have a long way to go in the reliability department.

I own my second Toyota Celica. The first one I sold with 256,000 miles and it had never been in the shop for other than regular maintenance, and this one has 189,000 now still running strong.

hobbes28 said:
I own my second Toyota Celica. The first one I sold with 256,000 miles and it had never been in the shop for other than regular maintenance, and this one has 189,000 now still running strong.

Can you believe my Step Mother drove an 89 Honda Accord with 450k km for almost a year without an oil change.

My second car was a 91 Honda Accord that had 350k km on it and I drove it till it hit 450k km at which point an ACCIDENT took it off the road. Not an engine failure.

Third car was 91 Corolla which I sold after I moved to the city. Ran like a friggin DREAM. Only had 80k on it when I bought it though. But still...ten year old car driving smoother than some new ones. Amazing.

First off, congrats! Buying a car is so exciting and fun (and slightly nerve wracking). Like Varthlokkur said, we had good luck with Saturns. I really liked the station wagon (the SW2) and it was a manual transmission which I love. It's fairly easy to learn how to drive a stick shift, but you'll need a patient teacher. I miss driving manual transmissions, but they aren't available in the cars we currently drive :(

As for your choices, it sounds like you're pretty set on the two you listed. Test drive them both and go from there. If it was me, I would buy a slightly older Honda or Toyota to stay in your budget. Many dealers sell certified used cars and offer warranty coverage as well. My first car was a Civic and I loved it. I still miss that car. They only experience I've had with Chevy's is our Surburban and we really do love it. My parents have driven Nissan Maxima's for nearly 20 years and have had good luck with them also.

Have fun shopping!

I too own a Toyota (Avalon) and it is a superbly well built machine. I am selling it in September though, due to my oversized family LOL!
As for Corry, she is looking for something that will fit into her budget and I think something along the lines of a civic, camry, etc. would be ideal. You cannot go wrong with Toyota and Honda. If you do your research and really open your search area, I bet you could find something in your price range that will last you a very long time.

Well, I test drove both a Cobalt and an '05 Ion (AND AN '06 STICK SHIFT ION!!! :shock: ) today....I'm now leaning more heavily toward the ion. I love the looks of the Cobalt, but there are things about the interior I dont' like as much. I was there for close to 3 hours, cuz the guy gave me a stick shift lesson! :) He WAS a very patient teacher. They actually have an '05 leftover, automatic transmission, with even more options than I originally thought I could afford, only 300 mi on it...so basically a brand new car, for $2000 less then MSRP, since it's a year old...But...I don't want to rush myself. I'm in the process now to checking out the inventory on the other Saturn dealers in northern IL. I'll talk to my insurance man Monday to find out what my insurance would be...ok, I'm all excited so I'm rambling now. I'll stop! :lol:

Varthlokkur said:
See, I told you the Ions were cool.

I also just found the EXACT car I tested today for $2000 less than what he quoted me online. Ha...he was tryin to screw me outta $2000. So..I'm calling monday and offering him $1000 less than the internet price. :mrgreen:

FWIW I have only owned GM cars. My first Car was a 1979 Olds that I drove until it had 175,000 miles on it when the tranny died. Then I got a 1984 Olds that I drove until it had 210,000 miles on it. I sold that car and it was still running strong with the original engine and tranny. Then I got a brand new 1996 Chevy Beretta which I drove until it had over 300,000 miles on it, I have since sold it and it is still on the road as I see it about once a month running around town. I now drive a 2002 Buick Lesabre which has 80,000 miles on it, still runs great.

Wally said:
FWIW I have only owned GM cars. My first Car was a 1979 Olds that I drove until it had 175,000 miles on it when the tranny died. Then I got a 1984 Olds that I drove until it had 210,000 miles on it. I sold that car and it was still running strong with the original engine and tranny. Then I got a brand new 1996 Chevy Beretta which I drove until it had over 300,000 miles on it, I have since sold it and it is still on the road as I see it about once a month running around town. I now drive a 2002 Buick Lesabre which has 80,000 miles on it, still runs great.

Thank you, Wally! No one in my immediate family (not even sure that anyone in my extended family...) has ever owned a foriegn car. I'm not knocking them at all, I'm just explaining my heavy bias. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back