A Sensor that needs no Lens

Yeah something like that. Absent a lens each pixel calculates the convolution of the ambient light falling on the sensor with a sinc() or something that looks like a sinc() close enough to be a basis vector in the frequency domain or close.

By varying the properties of the gratings etc across the array you get different sinc()-like functions.

Apparently this is sufficient to effect a change of basis from a straight up luminance array (considered as a vector) to something pretty close to a similar 2d array (also considered a vector) in some frequency domain space - or close enough.

With real sinc() functions this is just Fourier analysis. These things are not quite sinc() but whatever. The ideas are the same, the details probably get a bit mucky.

I honestly don't really understand what it does with a lens included in the system. The blending of spatial and frequency domains makes my fragile model collapse.

Again this will limit use of lenses which change the angle of incidence of the light.

That's kind of the weirdness. The sensor doesn't require a lens to function. Things like FOV and DOF though are confusing when you're accustom to these things being determined by optics.

If I'm thinking about it right DOF is infinite and the field of view is the angle over which the gratings give you any substantial input which I think means you can build it to be anything you like

Most reactions

New Topics

Back