A serious lack of originality

“No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit.”

Recognized that? Seems to me it doesn't quite fit with your attitude here.

ha, i agree with clouldwalker.

The statement was made by Ansel Adams. It is posted on my website. :)
It does agree with my statement. I am encouraging people to develop their own style. To not hinge of the FAD of the day.

“No man has the right to dictate what other men should perceive, create or produce, but all should be encouraged to reveal themselves, their perceptions and emotions, and to build confidence in the creative spirit.”

It does agree with my statement. I am encouraging people to develop their own style. To not hinge of the FAD of the day.

"Everybody and their stinking mother" is not going to encourage anyone to listen to you. Then again, I'm not sure they should anyway.

"Everybody and their stinking mother" is not going to encourage anyone to listen to you. Then again, I'm not sure they should anyway.

That was rude. My point in stirring up this thread is to get people to get their head out of the sand and learn to research and do things the right way. To develop their own style and abilities. People get so wrapped up in tryint the latest FAD and Trend they forget to get back to the basics. Most colleges require you to shoot on 35mm and learn al the basic old school methods. Then towards the end they allow you to shoot on digital. I am trying to get people to understand this point. Get back to basics and learn how todo things the right way.

A fad is a fad, just like in fashion or music. We can't help what other people like. I do agree with you however, but there's just things we cannot change and that's...change. So focus on your own style and be proud that you're not just like everyone else. I stopped thinking about what other people liked, a long time ago. I'm not looking for a different photographic style just to stand out either, I just have a different photographic view/preference. So, I hope it doesn't bother you as much anymore. Admire those you want to admire, and focus more on your work for the better.

Best wishes.

- Grace

A fad is a fad, just like in fashion or music. We can't help what other people like. So focus on your own style and be proud that you're not just like everyone else. I stopped thinking about what other people liked, a long time ago. I'm not looking for a different photographic style just to stand out either, I just have a different photographic view/preference. So, I hope it doesn't bother you as much anymore. Admire those you want to admire, and focus more on your work for the better.

Best wishes.

- Grace

Oh I agree 100%. My point is to try to help others.

When I was living in Seattle, I was all about HDR and photomatix, I thought it was the coolest thing in the world, and I used it whenever possible.

I shot HDR's for portraits:
2238362132_f344d72c97.jpg

For landscapes:
2237573047_8751130fc7.jpg

If it was old:
2238362944_3902714d67.jpg

Some of them people seemed to like, and i liked that people liked them, so I kept doing it, but as a result, became a worse photographer.

Then I finally grew out of it and started to get a real grasp on real photography.

It was a fad for me and was a departure from the principals of photography. It was cheating. "I don't know what the best exposure is, so i'll bracket a buttload and just slap em' together in photomatix and if ti comes out, sweet! if not, whatever.."

October of 2007 is the newest HDR that i've been able to find on my computer, and it's crap, just like the others.

I do think it's a fad, and in the photography world it's going to be on one of those things we make fun of 15 years from now just like white vignettes.. (*cringe*)

It's going to become sort of like one of the one hit wonders of the new millennium..

jorge.jpg
Zack+Mullet.jpg

Zack+Mullet.jpg

While there is very little HDR I like, it doesnt bother me that alot of people do it. I see it as a different genre from standard photography, much like realism in painting and, modernism. You either like one or the other.

I had never heard of HDR until I joined here. I paint pictures with light. Literally. So for me I could see this being an extension of what I am already doing. Seems it has been around since the 30's. That doesn't sound like a fad to me. Only more people exploiting the process. And isn't that what we are all about? Exploring, pushing the envelope. As long as it is a photo, and not computer generated, it works for me. Especially if someone is learning from it.

Dozens of people, thousands of dollars, countless hours, and no one can duplicate Ansel Adams. Nor my photography. I want to learn to be better, but ultimately I shoot for me, and because I can't imagine not doing it. I have not tried HDR, but I sure plan to learn about it.

Thanks for making me aware of it.

I had never heard of HDR until I joined here. I paint pictures with light. Literally. So for me I could see this being an extension of what I am already doing. Seems it has been around since the 30's. That doesn't sound like a fad to me. Only more people exploiting the process. And isn't that what we are all about? Exploring, pushing the envelope. As long as it is a photo, and not computer generated, it works for me. Especially if someone is learning from it.

Dozens of people, thousands of dollars, countless hours, and no one can duplicate Ansel Adams. Nor my photography. I want to learn to be better, but ultimately I shoot for me, and because I can't imagine not doing it. I have not tried HDR, but I sure plan to learn about it.

Thanks for making me aware of it.

:thumbup:

Sach,

What you are saying, IMO, is pretty much a contradiction in itself. It sounds as if you expect someone to pick up a camera and have their own style right out of the box. In order to go through the process of developing a style, one needs to try many others in order to find what they like.....

I don't think of DHR as a fad. I see it as another tool that is being learned en masse.....it just works much better for some, and not so well for others.

Sach,
I don't think of DHR as a fad. I see it as another tool that is being learned en masse.....it just works much better for some, and not so well for others.

I did not contridict my self. And what is DHR?
My point is people try and do something like that and dont even research it. Im saying people need to learnt eh basics. Walk before you Run kind of thing.

Seems it has been around since the 30's. That doesn't sound like a fad to me.

Cutting negatives is not the same as getting a few auto bracketed pics and plugging them into automatic software like photomatix.

For the most part, it's a cheesy fad.

some of the HDRs now dont even look like photography anymore... just a vast pile of editedd unrealistic ***#&$

I have no problem with true HDR's, it's the over-processed images that people call HDR's that piss me off. I doubt most of them even know what HDR stands for, or what its application is.

I also have no problem with people doing what they want to do (I think in this day and age, with the amount of people that have SLRs it's going to be tough to find people with a "unique" style anyways, especially when those require years of learning your camera and the art), it's the improper use of terms that bugs me.

Perhaps the style/technique that you have seen so many times before, someone else really enjoys and wants to make that their style. Are they not allowed to because you've seen it before? Honestly, I think you're getting too hung up about the thought of people caring what you think, but that's just my opinion.

As for the "fad" thing, I don't think HDRing is a fad, but the over-processed look is. Proper HDRing has it's place.

I don't think this is a "bad" HDR:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2317/2447337141_796bca6dac.jpg

This one however, I think starts to fall on the over-processed line. This was not the effect I was going for, I was trying to get a broader dynamic range:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3061/3030569463_8bcfcc9f86.jpg

This one I ended up doing a pseudo-HDR because I was on the wrong side of the track, and the side of the car was too dark without doing it (adjusted the EV, saved as three different copies, then merged):
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3632/3569450028_0d107eae4f.jpg

But of course, those are all just fad photos :lol:

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back