A (silly) question about prepositions: on or at f11?

My camera is ______ f/11 at the moment.

• on

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • at

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Wow, that's awesome. I'm in Istanbul and I'm also an English teacher. Often times, we'll discuss whether a sentence sounds right/authentic, or whether a native speaker would actually say it that way. When we can't agree, we end up asking our colleagues from places like the UK, US, Canada, New Zealand, etc. and and they always say "it's no big deal, sounds right to me" and don't see the point in us asking about all these uses of a certain word, preposition, tense use, etc. :)

Oh yeah, that sounds very very familiar :) I remember how the phrase "I need a native speaker judgement!" would be yelled out in the staff room several times every day. The funny thing is that after enough years teaching English, you begin to distrust your own native speaker judgement. You'd hear the same mistake so many times that it starts to sound correct, and then you can't tell anymore :lol:

I taught a year at Ozel Yildiz Lisesi in 1.Levent and two years at International House in Etiler. I loved it and still miss Istanbul :pumpformylove:
Great. I'm on the Asian side. I work at a private university here. I don't know how long ago you were here, but Istanbul has changed a lot over the years -- both in good and bad ways. :)

Quite a few years ago - from 1998-2001. I was looking at Google maps a few weeks ago to see if I could find my old hangouts and "see" them again, and I was amazed at how it's changed. My first year there, Erdogan was in jail.
In that case, you might be shocked if you return someday. I was still in university then. Things are very different now. :)

Wow, that's awesome. I'm in Istanbul and I'm also an English teacher. Often times, we'll discuss whether a sentence sounds right/authentic, or whether a native speaker would actually say it that way. When we can't agree, we end up asking our colleagues from places like the UK, US, Canada, New Zealand, etc. and and they always say "it's no big deal, sounds right to me" and don't see the point in us asking about all these uses of a certain word, preposition, tense use, etc. :)

Oh yeah, that sounds very very familiar :) I remember how the phrase "I need a native speaker judgement!" would be yelled out in the staff room several times every day. The funny thing is that after enough years teaching English, you begin to distrust your own native speaker judgement. You'd hear the same mistake so many times that it starts to sound correct, and then you can't tell anymore :lol:

I taught a year at Ozel Yildiz Lisesi in 1.Levent and two years at International House in Etiler. I loved it and still miss Istanbul :pumpformylove:
Great. I'm on the Asian side. I work at a private university here. I don't know how long ago you were here, but Istanbul has changed a lot over the years -- both in good and bad ways. :)

Quite a few years ago - from 1998-2001. I was looking at Google maps a few weeks ago to see if I could find my old hangouts and "see" them again, and I was amazed at how it's changed. My first year there, Erdogan was in jail.
In that case, you might be shocked if you return someday. I was still in university then. Things are very different now. :)

Yeah, I imagine! I am determined to get back there one day.

My artsy selfie with a tiny bit of the Bosphorus Bridge in the background :)

10005910_10152120767504007_8694953485985884557_o.jpg

That's great. Is this film? Got a link to other photos you took in Istanbul?

I'd love to go back to NYC sometime. :)

That's great. Is this film? Got a link to other photos you took in Istanbul?

I'd love to go back to NYC sometime. :)

Yup, film. I'll find some more that I have already scanned in and I'll start a different thread.

So one day we'll meet in either NYC or Istanbul :)

Canyou set it " to"?
Like; I set the ovens to 350 degrees. Its the movement of the temp dial setting that matters here. It goes from 0 "to" something. Cameras are different than ovens.
I'd actually say "I've set the aperture to f/11" rather than "I've set the aperture at f/11". The latter sounds weird to me, but what do I know? English is my third language. :)

Yes...both sound perfectly acceptable to me...aperture set "at" f/11 or "set to" f/11...I have used both...as well as the "set on". The expression "set on" has been around for a long time, as in, "Paul has the aperture set on f/11", indicating the setting, f//11, being set, literally ON the aperture control ring mechanism...

Hey...it's all good!

Most reactions

Back