A small plie of questions

Battou

TPF junkie!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo-lucidity.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am not sure if this belongs here or not, but I would imagine the mods will move it if it's poorly placed but any who...

I work for another photography site and reasently one of the users asked about creating some effects in her manips on the forum. Being as the site has not really gotten off the ground and the forum has almost no trafic, I am the only one there to try to help.

What (I think) she wants to create is an aged look to her digital photos (color), but the way she worded it it sounds like she wants the look of over or under exposing the photopaper during developing.

As far as creating the effects I can figure that out on my own, but I need to know exactly what she wants. I intend to do this by trying to emulate under done and over done pics and literally asking her "is this is what you ment, or is this". Herein lies the problem, I have not set foot in a dark room in the better part of ten years, on top of that I only worked with B/W back then. I have never seen what happens to a color photo that was left under the lamp too long or if it's even the same process.

In order for me to try to explain it, I need to know what happens to color photos when that gets done. As for why some one would want an effect like that I do not know, but I am sure she would like to know the difference.

First question: Is the process the same (as far as basic process) for color developing the same as B/W or is it diffrent?

Second question: Is my memory serving me correctly?

Trying to think back to the mistakes I have made leaving the paper under the lamp for too long or not long enough in B/W and going from there' I did these to make sure my head was screwed on straight and to attempt to get the effect but I am not sure if it's right.

Not long enough
100_0315-b-wover.png

correct
100_0315-b-w.png

too long
100_0315-b-wover2.png

Third Question: is this correct?

Operating on the assumption that it is the same process with similar effects and the previous was correct, I assume that this it what doing so with color photos would look like this.

Not long enough
100_0315-cunder.png

Correct
100_0315-2.png

too long
100_0315-cover.png

Fourth question: Am I even in the right ball park?

Final question: If I am wrong, dose any one by chance have an image I could use to see exactly what happens?

right one I would have thought was too long (over exposed) and the dark not long enough (under exposed)

right one I would have thought was too long (over exposed) and the dark not long enough (under exposed)

but this is about getting prints from negative, isn't it?

so what is dark on the print (positive), is bright on the negative, so when you shine light through the negative to create the positive, the longer (or brighter) you shine, the darker the positive gets.

it is reversed twice, and if you are in between, overexposed means darker in the final image, whereas overexposed in the moment of exposing the negative means a brighter final image.

B&w film development and color negative film development both include a development step or steps which causes changes to the sensitized silver halide grains in the emulsion. In b&w development, the silver halide is changed to metallic silver. In color film development the sensitized, developed grains are replaced by dyes.

Your error examples have way too much contrast. Under exposed pictures are usually soft and lack contrast. Your over exposed examples look like you just kicked up the contrast and increased the brightness. Too much "good color and detail.

Heck if you want, I'm sure I have some bad pictures around here some place, that you can use as examples of what not to do. :mrgreen:

What you can do, to make your own, is take a photo, then set the camera manual and drop it 1 1/2 stops, for your under exposed, then go 1 1/2 stops over for the over.

Trying to create incorrect exposure with software, is just as hard as trying to correct bad photos with software. You just can't hit Brightness and Contrast and make them magically look like something else.

Oh ps you only have to take three pictures. You can make the color pictures grey scale and show what they would look like. Keep in mind that Slide film is different than print film.

but this is about getting prints from negative, isn't it?

so what is dark on the print (positive), is bright on the negative, so when you shine light through the negative to create the positive, the longer (or brighter) you shine, the darker the positive gets.

it is reversed twice, and if you are in between, overexposed means darker in the final image, whereas overexposed in the moment of exposing the negative means a brighter final image.

Truth be told it's about checking my memory and then researching an assumption on the errors that can be made wile getting prints from negitive.I have been out of touch with film for a long time and I no longer have any of my mistakes left. I wanted to recreate it digitally, on top of that I had not done any prints in color.

Your error examples have way too much contrast. Under exposed pictures are usually soft and lack contrast. Your over exposed examples look like you just kicked up the contrast and increased the brightness. Too much "good color and detail.

Thank you, I thought it looked a little funny

Heck if you want, I'm sure I have some bad pictures around here some place, that you can use as examples of what not to do. :mrgreen:

Yeah, if you could that would make it a lot easier to explain what it sounded like she was asking for. It's up to you

Trying to create incorrect exposure with software, is just as hard as trying to correct bad photos with software. You just can't hit Brightness and Contrast and make them magically look like something else.

Oh ps you only have to take three pictures. You can make the color pictures grey scale and show what they would look like. Keep in mind that Slide film is different than print film.

Yeah, I am beginning to see this, I am sure that if I dump enough time into it I could get it, but...

unfortunately greyscaling the exsamples would serve only to confuse her at this point in time I feel, she made a point of saying that she did not just want to greyscal or sepiatone(SP?) an image. As it stands my assumption of her wanting to give an aged look was in fact correct as she went and based an expariment on a quickly made exsample I threw together, but I would still like to explain the diffrence.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back