Abandon ship!

JustJazzie

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a family photo session this afternoon.

After catching up on lots of creative live while my knee was broken, I have been wanting to challenge myself and start using my speed lights out doors.

I have done some test shots with the kiddos, but never attempted any group shots with it. I was concerned that the lighting modifiers I have been using on the boys wont be adequate for lighting a group, so this morning I whipped up a couple larger modifiers.

I don't have a large enough group to test these with, and I DO plan to bring my large foam core as a reflector in case I fail miserably.

They are made from some sort of foam like material that is used as a moisture barrier or something for laminate flooring? I hot glued and taped corset boning onto the back to help it hold its shape in case of wind, and then stick velcro to attach to the rights. The are around 19 inches by 16 inches.

Will this be adequate to light a family of 5 outdoors? Mom, dad and kiddos ages 2-7

So.... Bon voyage? Or abandon ship and stick to natural lighting?

(PS. I am well aware they look ridiculous!)
37709209806_aae3b5fd32_c.jpg

37757718191_829398789c_c.jpg

Not sure how well they will work, but couldn't hurt and they have a certain "cool" factor LOL Curious how well they perform, as I've got some of the same stuff left over.

As long as these have a decent GN (>100) and you aren't trying to overpower direct, noon-day sun, This should get you in the ball park. If they support HSS, then you're laughing. A couple of things to consider: (1) The way your reflectors are positioned, a lot (most?) of the light is going to be going straight up and wasted; and (2) Beware of crossing shadows when you use two lights on a group like this. The temptation is to put that at ~45 degrees, which usually gives a nice, albeit unexciting light on the face, BUT often leaves odd shadows on necks, shoulders, etc.

I think my preference might be to pose the family tightly together, gang both lights and use an umbrella, or even your foamcore as a diffuser.

I was even just going to suggest taping the two together and shooting them both through a single shoot-through...

Or try to get them on the edge of shade, so they are completely out of the sun, and then you can probably just use the one in an umbrella if you have one.

another video for funs:

Last edited:
Not sure how well they will work, but couldn't hurt and they have a certain "cool" factor LOL Curious how well they perform, as I've got some of the same stuff left over.

You made me laugh when you said "cool factor"

I should have added in the OP, that I made a smaller one and tested it on one subject. It did give off nice lighting. which is why I am considering using it on a larger scale.
This was a quick, "hey kid, sit down for 2 seconds for me so I can see the light" shot with a 12x12 version on camera.

Obviously I would be using the larger ones off camera.
37088104163_860b69796e_z.jpg

As long as these have a decent GN (>100) and you aren't trying to overpower direct, noon-day sun, This should get you in the ball park. If they support HSS, then you're laughing. A couple of things to consider: (1) The way your reflectors are positioned, a lot (most?) of the light is going to be going straight up and wasted; and (2) Beware of crossing shadows when you use two lights on a group like this. The temptation is to put that at ~45 degrees, which usually gives a nice, albeit unexciting light on the face, BUT often leaves odd shadows on necks, shoulders, etc.

I think my preference might be to pose the family tightly together, gang both lights and use an umbrella, or even your foamcore as a diffuser.
Thank you for chiming in!

It will be 4:30 ish in a shaded back yard. I just want to add a bit of dimension to the group and avoid flat lighting, not overpower anything.

as for the angle, I am hoping I can point them down a bit and have it get the right direction, but obviously I have no idea if it will work or I wouldn't be here.

Last edited:
I was even just going to suggest taping the two together and shooting them both through a single shoot-through...

Or try to get them on the edge of shade, so they are completely out of the sun, and then you can probably just use the one in an umbrella if you have one.

A shoot through umbrella would be great but I honestly have no way to mount 2 on a stand and attach an umbrella. All my good modifiers are for my strobes, which I don't trust outside at the moment. I really need to order a proper bracket to do so. Its in my amazon cart, but that doesn't help me today!

I would literally tape one speedlight to the mounted one... :p

Also @tirediron as for guide numbers, Im not really sure. Its a newer 750II and a yongnuo yn560III. I know the Yongnuo is brighter than the 750, but Im not sure about the GN's.

I thought about that, but my mount doesn't have a hole for the umbrella, and its quite windy here! Any Ideas?

I would think the 750II is brighter... well it's certainly larger :)

It's a touch brighter than my SB-700, I never compared it directly to the 560.

both the newer and youngnou are rated at 58GN at 105mm. the 560 is rated at 39 at 35mm setting.

but, when Ive looked at test, the 750II is testing a bit brighter than a SB-800...

Get a VAL*

"Kid, stand there, hold this, aim there!"

*Voice Activated Lightstand

I had a 24x24" softbox I mounted on a monopod that I was going have my assistant hold but never got around to using it.

Last edited:
Yep... pretty much any lighting problem in the world that doesn't involve more light can be solved with gaf tape!
But how would I mount the umbrella without an umbrella bracket?
... and its quite windy here! Any Ideas?
Get a VAL*

Hmmm. That is an idea! I will ponder that. No kiddos are available, but I may be able to swindle the moms brother in law into playing Mary Poppins for a few minuets.

I would think the 750II is brighter... well it's certainly larger :)

I think they both approach 100 GN.

Get a VAL*

I had a 24x24" softbox I mounted on a monopod that I was going have my assistant hold but never got around to using it.
Hmm.. Im not sure what the GN's say, but my YN560 is significantly brighter in testing.

A shoot through umbrella would be great but I honestly have no way to mount 2 on a stand and attach an umbrella. All my good modifiers are for my strobes, which I don't trust outside at the moment. I really need to order a proper bracket to do so. Its in my amazon cart, but that doesn't help me today!
The reflectors do not add light, they just bounce it, and you will actually lose some light intensity due to bouncing it off your shiny foam.

Another suggestion; mount the one speedlight, and tape the second one to the first. (A Hatlo Tip-O-The-Hat to Braineack for that one!) Then get two (or more) youngsters to "volunteer" to hold your shower curtain about 6 feet in front of the speedlights. The taller ones at the top corners, a shorter one holding the bottom. It won't matter to the light if the curtain is blowing in the wind. Just make sure your speedlights don't get blown over.

The reflectors do not add light, they just bounce it, and you will actually lose some light intensity due to bouncing it off your shiny foam.

Another suggestion; mount the one speedlight, and tape the second one to the first. (A Hatlo Tip-O-The-Hat to Braineack for that one!) Then get two (or more) youngsters to "volunteer" to hold your shower curtain about 6 feet in front of the speedlights. The taller ones at the top corners, a shorter one holding the bottom. It won't matter to the light if the curtain is blowing in the wind. Just make sure your speedlights don't get blown over.
I appreciate the idea of putting the kiddos to work, however mine will be at swim lessons and hers will be in the photos. So I have one assistant (the dads brother) to help me during the family portrait,

I could have him hold the foam board and tape the lights together and just bounce off that.

Am I really better off with one brighter light than two less intense flashes?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back