? about lens: Vivitar 28-210 1:3.5-5.6

jess28

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I ran across an inexpensive lens on Craigslist and after Googling I can't come up with much information about it.

It is a Vivitar 28-210 1:3.5-5.6 AF. Can anyone tell me anything about this and what would be a fair price on it?

Vivitar is a brand name. They make no lenses. It's probably a Cosina 28-210 with Vivitar name on it. Also sold under the Phoenix name same specs. List price is about $130 retail. So, its a very inexpensive lens.

Thanks Ben! They are asking $100 for it. I've been trying to find another fairly cheap lens for walk around use. Off to Google again. Thanks!

Thanks Ben! They are asking $100 for it. I've been trying to find another fairly cheap lens for walk around use. Off to Google again. Thanks!

Also I can only find manual focus lenses in this range for a search.

Since you have a D40 need to be careful that you get a lens with a motor in it, unless your willing to manual focus.

Since you already have a 28-300 your not going to find a much better lens for cheap even used. Might want to look into picking up a 50mm f/1.8G. About $140 new and its a nice fast lens.

Yeah, I only found manual focus when searchiing just now. The guy swears it says AF on the lens, but then again, it is Craigslist so there's really no telling. I really appreciate your help, I was getting nowhere on my own.

It could be an AF but it would most likely be a D type if it is a Nikon AF compatable lens. It just probably not sold any more so hard to find. And with the D40 it would not be AF.

Ya, the d40/x/60/5000/3000 need AF-S or I (sigma calls it HSM, don't know what tamaron calls it) to auto focus. AF is a lens that will auto focus on a body with a motor, such as a D90/300/3/700

Thanks guys!

I'm going to pass on it and look into the 50mm. I had a "nifty fifty" for my Canon and really liked it.

Thanks guys!

I'm going to pass on it and look into the 50mm. I had a "nifty fifty" for my Canon and really liked it.

Doh, thought the 50mm f/1.8 was a G type. It's an AF-D. Which means no AF on your D40.

The 35mm f/1.8 is a G type. That would be near 50mm coverage. About $200 new.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back