According to Vogue: Brides should say "I don't" to professional wedding photography

I can assure you there are no good photographers in my area and none that shoot film i didn't want arty farty photos all that was neede was a record and I am a member of CAMRA ( campaign for real ale) and I have not had many bad beers from the brewery's in my area +50

I can assure you there are no good photographers in my area and none that shoot film i didn't want arty farty photos all that was neede was a record and I am a member of CAMRA ( campaign for real ale) and I have not had many bad beers from the brewery's in my area +50

im not going to elaborate on the manner in which you have exactly proved my point.

scuba.

im not going to elaborate on the manner in which you have exactly proved my point.

scuba.
Your upset because you would not get my custom, it meant I could spend more on my friends with a free bar

scuba.
Your upset because you would not get my custom, it meant I could spend more on my friends with a free bar

upset about what custom? your wedding was no different than a million other weddings around the world.
take mine for instance. nothing special. nothing unique. just a typical wedding.
I hired a professional photographer, AND I paid for a top shelf open bar for my reception. all of my friends drank free.
all. night. long.

scuba

67b78e00e406409b5f99a26ecef0904e.jpg

I didn't bother to read the article, but I can say three things without doubt:
  1. My wedding was the most important day in my life;
  2. My professionally taken wedding photos are among my most cherished;
  3. Having a pro capture these images was a no-brainer.
There is literally NO argument one could fashion that would convince me otherwise. I am not a brilliant photographer, but I certainly know enough photography to realize that great photos don't happen accidentally very often, and that a competent wedding photographer MORE than earns his/her keep.

By all means, work to keep a wedding under control financially (it should be about the union of two soul- not a bridezilla production)- but DON'T trivialize the importance of a good wedding photographer.

For those who have gone without a photographer and gotten away with it- good for you. My thought is that it's an unnecessary risk. If it works- you have saved a bit of cash that will be spent on something else soon enough, but if it fails you have forever lost the opportunity to have images that you really really should have for the rest of your life.
I couldn't agree more.[emoji106] [emoji122]

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Apparently you all don't have children then. The birth of our three children was by far more important in our lives than our wedding day. Hell, I've known some people that have had 7 or 8 "Most Important" days in their lives. One of em even married the same woman twice.
717110.gif

We hired an outstanding wedding photographer for our daughters wedding. Produced wonderful photos. Most of the ones that mean the most to my daughter however came from the disposable cameras that we left on the tables for people to use. But then my daughter only wanted family and real friends at the wedding. She wasn't interested in some big show. The photos caught by family and friends have more meaning to her because of not only who, but what they captured.
Your tone suggested I perhaps offended, so sorry if that's the case- The choice that I was suggesting obviously different from what your family has chosen which must about your nose out of joint a bit.

I actually have four children. All the result of the commitment I made to my wife 30 years ago. If we started debating the importance of wedding day versus date of birth, I think we take this thread off topic, don't we?

By the way, who said it had to be either/or? Why not hire a pro tot gett those great shots, and put out disposable cameras as well?
Nope, not offended at all. Far from it. I just find it funny so many people these days think a wedding is the be all/do all in life. Weddings on average have turned into narcissistic shows with little to do with the real reason for the day. TV is a perfect example, when you can make a popular long running series about buying a wedding dress. Any day that is "All About The Bride" does not bode well for what is supposed to be a union between two people to create a life.

For my wife of 36 years we wanted and had a small family and friends wedding. Her dress probably cost around $200.00. My mother-in-law is a great seamstress and made the dress herself for her daughter. The flowers were't the traditional over the top showy stuff. Instead of cut flowers my wife choose flowering plants. Some were left with her church for Sunday and on, some went home with family, and some went to a nearby retirement home to brighten the day of the residents. We even have relatives that still have living plants from our wedding.

For my wife and I our wedding day was OUR wedding day to share with cherished family & friends, to come together as one. No cake smashing in the face, ridiculous games or other crap.

Now it was all about my wife when she had cancer surgery. It was all about my wife when she went through chemo. It was all about our children when they were born. It was all about our children when our Grandchildren were born. There have been a lot of things in life that have been far more important than our wedding day.

I would ask most people one question: When was the last time you actually set down with your wedding album and looked at it?

I didn't bother to read the article, but I can say three things without doubt:
  1. My wedding was the most important day in my life;
  2. My professionally taken wedding photos are among my most cherished;
  3. Having a pro capture these images was a no-brainer.
There is literally NO argument one could fashion that would convince me otherwise. I am not a brilliant photographer, but I certainly know enough photography to realize that great photos don't happen accidentally very often, and that a competent wedding photographer MORE than earns his/her keep.

By all means, work to keep a wedding under control financially (it should be about the union of two soul- not a bridezilla production)- but DON'T trivialize the importance of a good wedding photographer.

For those who have gone without a photographer and gotten away with it- good for you. My thought is that it's an unnecessary risk. If it works- you have saved a bit of cash that will be spent on something else soon enough, but if it fails you have forever lost the opportunity to have images that you really really should have for the rest of your life.
I couldn't agree more.[emoji106] [emoji122]

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Apparently you all don't have children then. The birth of our three children was by far more important in our lives than our wedding day. Hell, I've known some people that have had 7 or 8 "Most Important" days in their lives. One of em even married the same woman twice.
717110.gif

We hired an outstanding wedding photographer for our daughters wedding. Produced wonderful photos. Most of the ones that mean the most to my daughter however came from the disposable cameras that we left on the tables for people to use. But then my daughter only wanted family and real friends at the wedding. She wasn't interested in some big show. The photos caught by family and friends have more meaning to her because of not only who, but what they captured.
Your tone suggested I perhaps offended, so sorry if that's the case- The choice that I was suggesting obviously different from what your family has chosen which must about your nose out of joint a bit.

I actually have four children. All the result of the commitment I made to my wife 30 years ago. If we started debating the importance of wedding day versus date of birth, I think we take this thread off topic, don't we?

By the way, who said it had to be either/or? Why not hire a pro tot gett those great shots, and put out disposable cameras as well?
Nope, not offended at all. Far from it. I just find it funny so many people these days think a wedding is the be all/do all in life. Weddings on average have turned into narcissistic shows with little to do with the real reason for the day. TV is a perfect example, when you can make a popular long running series about buying a wedding dress. Any day that is "All About The Bride" does not bode well for what is supposed to be a union between two people to create a life.

For my wife of 36 years we wanted and had a small family and friends wedding. Her dress probably cost around $200.00. My mother-in-law is a great seamstress and made the dress herself for her daughter. The flowers were't the traditional over the top showy stuff. Instead of cut flowers my wife choose flowering plants. Some were left with her church for Sunday and on, some went home with family, and some went to a nearby retirement home to brighten the day of the residents. We even have relatives that still have living plants from our wedding.

For my wife and I our wedding day was OUR wedding day to share with cherished family & friends, to come together as one. No cake smashing in the face, ridiculous games or other crap.

Now it was all about my wife when she had cancer surgery. It was all about my wife when she went through chemo. It was all about our children when they were born. It was all about our children when our Grandchildren were born. There have been a lot of things in life that have been far more important than our wedding day.

I would ask most people one question: When was the last time you actually set down with your wedding album and looked at it?
I have 3 of my favorite wedding pics scanned and in our digital photo frame slide show that plays every day 24/7.

My reference to the importance of wedding day was just this: the single most important choice I had to make in life was who my spouse would be. I won't get involved in a debate over how big or important any individual wedding should be- that the choice of each individual.

If anyone thinks that somebody's wedding is 'wrong' in their measure (too big or too small), well, in the words of a great 21st century philosopher: "scuba".:345:

Last edited:
If anyone thinks that somebody's wedding is 'wrong' in their measure (too big or too small), well, in the words of a great 21st century philosopher: "scuba".:345:

And yet, you've implied that not spending money on a professional photographer is "wrong" or "trivializing" the importance of the image.

My thought is that it's an unnecessary risk. If it works- you have saved a bit of cash that will be spent on something else soon enough, but if it fails you have forever lost the opportunity to have images that you really really should have for the rest of your life.

You're speaking as if this is a life or death decision to make, and also assuming that others place the same importance on the images as you do. I'm not saying the pictures have no value - of course they do, as they are reminders of a milestone event that most people want to remember. But it's no one else's business what form those pictures take. If someone wants professional pictures, fine. If someone wants snapshots from table-top Instax prints or disposable film cameras or iPhone snaps, then that's fine, too. They're not cheating themselves out of anything - they are creating the kind of images that will continue to resonate with them. And there are also those who just truly don't care that much at all about the images. Their reminders of the important event do not lie in an album or picture frame, but in their actual life with the person they chose.

Personally, I've never had any emotional connection to any "official" professional photographs. They leave me cold. Why would I spend thousands of dollars to get images that leave me cold?

Last edited:

And yet, you've implied that not spending money on a professional photographer is "wrong" or "trivializing" the importance of the image.

My thought is that it's an unnecessary risk. If it works- you have saved a bit of cash that will be spent on something else soon enough, but if it fails you have forever lost the opportunity to have images that you really really should have for the rest of your life.

You're speaking as if this is a life or death decision to make, and also assuming that others place the same importance on the images as you do. I'm not saying the pictures have no value - of course they are, as they are reminders of a milestone event that most people want to remember. But it's no one else's business what form those pictures take. If someone wants professional pictures, fine. If someone wants snapshots from table-top Instax prints or disposable film cameras or iPhone snaps, then that's fine, too. They're not cheating themselves out of anything - they are creating the kind of images that will continue to resonate with them. And there are also those who just truly don't care that much at all about the images. Their reminders of the important event do not lie in an album or picture frame, but in their actual life with the person they chose.

Personally, I've never had any emotional connection to any "official" professional photographs. They leave me cold. Why would I spend thousands of dollars to get images that leave me cold?
Thirty years into this deal- yes I think photos of your wedding should be with you for life. Hopeless romantic? Maybe. Sorry.

Thirty years into this deal- yes I think photos of your wedding should be with you for life. Hopeless romantic? Maybe. Sorry.

There's no reason for you to be sorry for being a romantic, just as there is no reason for me to be sorry for not being at all sentimental about posed, sterile wedding images and preferring silly, maybe blurry, maybe overexposed candid and real images.

There's no reason for you to be sorry for being a romantic, just as there is no reason for me to be sorry for not being at all sentimental about posed, sterile wedding images and preferring silly, maybe blurry, maybe overexposed candid and real images.

I feel a disturbance in the force!
darth-vader.gif
Lenny and I on the same side............................Help us Obi wan kenobi, you"re our final hope. :biglaugh:

You're speaking as if this is a life or death decision to make, and also assuming that others place the same importance on the images as you do. I'm not saying the pictures have no value - of course they are, as they are reminders of a milestone event that most people want to remember. But it's no one else's business what form those pictures take. If someone wants professional pictures, fine. If someone wants snapshots from table-top Instax prints or disposable film cameras or iPhone snaps, then that's fine, too. They're not cheating themselves out of anything - they are creating the kind of images that will continue to resonate with them. And there are also those who just truly don't care that much at all about the images. Their reminders of the important event do not lie in an album or picture frame, but in their actual life with the person they chose.

I hope Mrs Pleeb doesn't use you as a door mat

And made by your friends that have come to share your day, thats more important to me all the memories are in my head

Most reactions

Back