Action Shots .... Question

ACrossley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.alishacrossleyphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have had a hard time capturing motion in pictures. I am shooting with a Canon 40D and mainly 28-135 lens.

I have tried the action feature on the camera, but I often loose my stronger focus.

How can I set my camera manually to obtain better action shots? Or, is the issue with my lens?

THANKS!:D

I have had a hard time capturing motion in pictures. I am shooting with a Canon 40D and mainly 28-135 lens.

I have tried the action feature on the camera, but I often loose my stronger focus.

How can I set my camera manually to obtain better action shots? Or, is the issue with my lens?

THANKS!:D

We are going to need more details on the lens in order to give you good advice. Also you may want to consider giving us an example pic or telling us what you are shooting. There are different issues with different venues for sure.

Are you trying to capture/stop motion or are you trying to give a sense of motion through blurring?

Are you using the AI Servo setting to track your subjects?

The EF 28-135mm IS USM lens is not a bad lens, but it's not a very fast lens either. Do you have any other lens?

Are you trying to capture/stop motion or are you trying to give a sense of motion through blurring?

Are you using the AI Servo setting to track your subjects?

The EF 28-135mm IS USM lens is not a bad lens, but it's not a very fast lens either. Do you have any other lens?

I have a telephoto lens as well, but nothing else:grumpy:( ... Not sure what the AI Servo is????

I just invested in my flash .... the 580EX, so I cannot get any other fun stuff for a little while.

I can create blur in photoshop pretty well .... I am having problems with children portraits for the most part. I want to capture a child twirling or throwing hands in the air.

I do not have an example as I delete those that turn out like this.

While we are on this .... how do YOU blur the background without the help of photoshop? I hate to tag this on, but I have read some great replies from you!! THANKS!!

While we are on this .... how do YOU blur the background without the help of photoshop? I hate to tag this on, but I have read some great replies from you!! THANKS!!
To blur the background you create a more shallow depth of field which you do by increasing the aperture size (lower f/ number)

I have a telephoto lens as well, but nothing else:grumpy:( ... Not sure what the AI Servo is????

I just invested in my flash .... the 580EX, so I cannot get any other fun stuff for a little while.

I can create blur in photoshop pretty well .... I am having problems with children portraits for the most part. I want to capture a child twirling or throwing hands in the air.

I do not have an example as I delete those that turn out like this.

For starters I wouldnt delete the images you dislike they are a tool for you and figuring out what you like and dont like as well as helping you learn about the settings and what not.

Are you looking for stopping the motion in the image or are you looking to keep some blur in the image as well?

For starters I wouldnt delete the images you dislike they are a tool for you and figuring out what you like and dont like as well as helping you learn about the settings and what not.

Are you looking for stopping the motion in the image or are you looking to keep some blur in the image as well?

I do like a slight blur in most motion shots... I want it to look more artistic.

To blur the background you create a more shallow depth of field which you do by increasing the aperture size (lower f/ number)

Would I have to shoot in manual mode to obtain this or can I preset my aperture? I know these are VERY Noobie questions. I shot film in college while learning all these terms. I am relearning now with digital.

THANKS!!

Would I have to shoot in manual mode to obtain this or can I preset my aperture? I know these are VERY Noobie questions. I shot film in college while learning all these terms. I am relearning now with digital.

THANKS!!
depends on the lens. Your lens will have a range on it. f3.5-f5.6 or something along those lines maybe. You can set your aperture when using the manual mode or the A setting.

Creating the blurred effect in an action shot, IMO, is more a function of shutter speed control. Also combined with a flash (not the on-board thing), you can create some dramatic effects. Panning for the shot and adding the flash with rear curtain freezes the subject, but allows for the motion blur.

I am also a sports shooter, but for now I have to use my 28-135mm as well. I'm sorry but it really sucks for sports, it hardly ever gets the focus right, and mine is quite soft at 135mm, which is where I usually have it since I shoot field sports. Use the AV mode, and set your ISO at like 640, unless it's really sunny. I do love it as a walk around lens cause it's got great range, but for sports its not good, but I know how you feel :(. I wish I could afford a 70-200mm 2.8

I am also a sports shooter, but for now I have to use my 28-135mm as well. I'm sorry but it really sucks for sports, it hardly ever gets the focus right, and mine is quite soft at 135mm, which is where I usually have it since I shoot field sports. Use the AV mode, and set your ISO at like 640, unless it's really sunny. I do love it as a walk around lens cause it's got great range, but for sports its not good, but I know how you feel :(. I wish I could afford a 70-200mm 2.8

Great help!! I do mostly children, but they are ALWAYS on the go .... THANKS:D

Most reactions

Back