Actually, I'm rather happy with my progress...

I found this video by Joel Grimes very insightful. Advance to the 37 minute mark and watch the last 10 minutes of it. It gave me a different perspective on photography.

The critical comments were about the photos, not you.

One comment that ended up being deleted (but is still visible due to being quoted) from one of the OP's previous threads:

"Is the fact that I would have deleted these images before they saw the light of day constructive criticism?"

Then a moderator came in and cleaned up the place. Comments like these make people that are self-conscious about their photos not post. That's not the kind of forum I want to be a part of. This commenter essentially said they wouldn't have even taken the pictures (i.e., "before they saw the light of day"). That's not constructive. Why not make comments about the composition, posing, settings, etc, instead of just bashing the photos?

I'm not trying to pick on any specific users that made comments, but we're better than this. In fact, the person that quoted this statement said they hesitate posting their photos because of comments like this. That's not good.

We can and should provide feedback that is constructive, not destructive.

Thank you so much. I agree that we should and can be better than this.

If you are happy with your photos, that's really all that matters.
If everyone believed that, then this site would have nothing to talk about, because nobody would ever ask for C&C.

The weather.

Whether you think you will weather the weather depends on whether you think it will rain.

Or not.

The critical comments were about the photos, not you.

One comment that ended up being deleted (but is still visible due to being quoted) from one of the OP's previous threads:

"Is the fact that I would have deleted these images before they saw the light of day constructive criticism?"

Then a moderator came in and cleaned up the place. Comments like these make people that are self-conscious about their photos not post. That's not the kind of forum I want to be a part of. This commenter essentially said they wouldn't have even taken the pictures (i.e., "before they saw the light of day"). That's not constructive. Why not make comments about the composition, posing, settings, etc, instead of just bashing the photos?

I'm not trying to pick on any specific users that made comments, but we're better than this. In fact, the person that quoted this statement said they hesitate posting their photos because of comments like this. That's not good.

We can and should provide feedback that is constructive, not destructive.
It sounds to me like that commenter is a photographer that has created a tiny box out of fear in which they are so afraid that someone else won't like something they did that they would delete it "before it saw the light of day" and be afraid to step outside of that tiny box and post something just because they liked it.
That's just sad in my opinion, to put more value on someone you don't even know than on your own opinion.
Basically if someone posts a really silly comment based on not understanding what the photographer (or artist) wanted to do, then it's best to just put that person on ignore because they will never get it.

Hm.

Does someone not having something to show necessarily make them unqualified to comment on your work?

Do you necessarily even need to be a good photographer to critique photography effectively?

I think you should re-think your position here.

And your post was seriously negative.

And, honestly, I've not seen your prior work so I can't say how much you've improved, but if those images you posted here are examples of your current work, then you still have a long way to go. Nothing wrong with that, of course. You can learn a TON from folks here... as long as you don't post comments flipping everyone off. :)

@elizpage

Do you use flash in any of your photography? Only natural light? Have you ever had the chance to learn flash photography from someone?

The internets a tough place and the world can be cruel as well. Plenty of negative people on forums and part of it is our own insecurities.

Here's my take on interwebz criticisms. This isn't directed to the OP, this is just how I handle it.

If you believe your photos are perfect, then do not ask for criticism, you will only be insulted at the responses. I see this time and time again and it always ends in butthurt and angst. My photos are never perfect, and probably never will be... so I move on to the next section.

If you believe you photos are NOT perfect, and ask for criticism, accept the positives and obviously constructive comments graciously. You can do two things to make the things many people will see as a negative response as productive as possible... but only if you read into them with an open mind.

First off, be happy that people have taken the time to respond to your inquiry. Even if you decide not to put any stock in their criticism or if you disagree with what they say, thank them for their comments. They took time out of their day to share with you.

Secondly, with very few exceptions, even the most harshly worded response can have important and useful information. All you need to do is crack open that ugly ass clam, grab that pearl of wisdom and toss the rest aside never to think of it again.

My .02

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back