Adorama Markets Fish-Eye Lens for APS-sensor DSLRs

kundalini

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just came across this in my lastest issue of Rangefinder mag.

Pro-Optic Fish-Eye lens
8mm, 10 elements in 7 groups, built-in lens hood, and locking lens cap. Focuses down to 12", covers 180° field of view, aperture range from f/3.5 to f/22.

Supports Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Sony/Minolta.

$289.95

Thought is was worth sharing for those wantinig a fish-eye on the cheap. That's all I know, but you can research more if interested.

Cool beans! Looks pretty neat and affordable.

The manual focus is kind of a turn-off. But otherwise looks like a neat and cheap add on for a crop body bag.

I have basically the same lens (Series E version) for my D40. It's a great quality lens, although soft at 1.8, and it really helped me nail down the craft of focusing and metering.

The manual focus is kind of a turn-off. But otherwise looks like a neat and cheap add on for a crop body bag.

The manual focusing need not be considered much of an impediment, because with a lens that short in focal length, one can just set the focus to 1/2 of a meter and be done with it for most objects.

Even with the lens wide open at f/3.5, if the focusing ring is set to 2 meters, the depth of field extends from 0.67 meters all the way to Infinity. The hyperfocal distance wide-open is in fact, 1.01 meters, so if the focusing is set in that area, the depth of field is immense. There is no need to focus a lens like this; the focusing can be literally, TAPED in place at 1 meter and you're good to go. It can be guesstimated with a margin for error that is larger that with any other lens except, I guess Nikon's historic 6mm fisheye.

Stopped down to f/8 and and the focusing distance has almost no impact on the final picture. So, there is absolutely no need for autofocusing--this puppy is like killing ants with 500 lb. bombs--you can be off by 5,10,15,20,30,40 feet-you do not need to be accurate, just be "there".

Most reactions

New Topics

Back