Advice on circular polarizer?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by MDesigner, Jun 12, 2008.

1. MDesigner

MDesigner TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm looking for a circular polarizer.. I've read in several places that they're pretty important to have. I've had my eye on a Tiffen 67mm filter, runs for about $50, but it's not coated and some people claim it causes glare in some situations. I'm not to keen on spending $130 for a polarizer, but the ones that are MC (multi coated) go for at least $80'ish. Is it worth it? Or will the Tiffen work ok for me?

2. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm a firm believer in the benefits to a polarizer. However, if that's your option, you're better off without one.

3. Alfred D.

Alfred D. TPF Noob!

You'll get what you pay for.

4. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I posted some before and after samples in this thread: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121907

I'm pretty sure that's just a cheap crappy uncoated 52mm Quantaray (Ritz brand) circular polarizer that I was using on my 18-55 kit lens. I'll double check tonight and report back. Cost me a whole $29.99 and it works fine. :) An uncoated CP filter in the appropriate situation is definitely much better than no polarizer at all.

5. reg

reg TPF Noob!

Stuck inside of Mobile with the GTFO Blues Again
    Photos OK to edit
    Agreed!

:thumbup:

6. MDesigner

MDesigner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Just so I'm clear.. you're saying if my only option is the $50 Tiffen, I'm better off without it?

Can anyone recommend a good polarizer somewhere between $50 and $130?

7. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would disagree. I have some uncoated and some coated and haven't had trouble with the uncoated ones. You DO want a polarizer, though, if you shoot outdoors at all.

8. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's my opinion but you should read Mav's post and take a look at his examples. He pretty much shoots me down (although I'll still stick with high-end glass).

Edit: Icassell just chimed in to support Mav's position.

9. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    One other way of looking at it is this and an arguement for getting a B&W or other high-end MC filter --

You spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on your lens -- do you want to put a cheap piece of glass between it and your subject?

10. Socrates

Socrates TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's exactly the logic that I use when I buy Hoya Pro-1 series filters! Heck, my 72mm CP cost me $175.

11. MDesigner

MDesigner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, lenses that cost $600-$1000+ are typically better quality optics than lenses that cost $100-$200. You can definitely see the quality difference in the photos taken. Either that, or the pricier lenses are super fast (f/1.2, etc). The question is, when it comes to a $50 filter compared to a $150 filter, can you see a difference? Could someone post photos where we could easily see the $150 filter blows away the $50 filter? I'm not convinced until I see verifiable proof.

12. Mav

Mav TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If the cheap filters don't degrade your image quality and does what you need it to, why spend more? The only thing I wouldn't recommend is misc. ebay garbage because only God knows where some of that stuff comes from, or to what standards they were built.