Advice on circular polarizer?

Let me clarify my comment --

It was a rhetorical question as I have many non-coated filters in my bag. Maybe I've just gotten lucky. Some people also get lucky with cheap lenses. I'm just stating one arguement for the more expensive ones.
Understood, I was just countering it as it might not have been seen as such by Beginners. I had some cheap filters and the ONLY problem I ever had was some ghosting at night. No problem - I just took the filter off for that. I figured it was becasue they were non-coated, so I got some fancier and far more expensive multi-coated Hoya filters to compare with the uncoated Hoyas from before. Guess what? SAME ghosting problem. Yeah, money well spent there. :roll: If you're just starting out and playing around with different filter types, just don't feel the need to have to buy the super fancy expensive multi-coated ones because most of the time in any normal shooting situation there's not going to be any visible difference. Some of my best photos have been made with two or even THREE stacked uncoated filters! :mrgreen: I would stick with name brand stuff like Hoya, Tiffen, or B+W though.

I own both Hoya and Tiffen circular polarizers. I cannot tell a difference, but perhaps I haven't taken a shot in just the right circumstances to prove ones flare over the other. I think Tiffen makes a "decent" product, but if you can swing it, get a better one in my opinion. (one less thing to worry about)

Also, if you are thinking about other lenses in your future, look them up online and see what size filter they require.

Example: Say you have your heart set on a Sigma 50-500 lens. Thats an 86 mm filter. I would buy an 86mm polarizer and a step up ring 67 to 86mm. Step up rings are cheap, filters are not. Just a thought to help save you some money down the road.

Derrick

Another thought, I have bought 2 Tiffen filter kits in the past. Although I am sure many will disagree with doing this, they were an invaluable learning tool for me. You get 3 filters- a circular polarizer (i found nothing wrong with the 2 I got), a warming filter ( i did have problems with one of mine, Tiffen laminates the color between 2 pieces of glass and mine had trapped air bubbles. I likely could have got a replacement, but never tried), and you get a UV filter-good for lens protection. 3 filters and a filter case for a reasonable amount. Just another thought. Sometimes you have to avoid the internet and everyones opinions and take a leap and try things and have fun, unfortuneatly things aren't always going to go in your favor. What I mean is, I read these darn forums so much that I start worrying about shutter life and how many more shots my 6 month old camera has. LOL

Thanks for the advice. And Derrick: thanks for the tip on the step-up ring, didn't even think of that!

One other way of looking at it is this and an arguement for getting a B&W or other high-end MC filter --

You spend hundreds to thousands of dollars on your lens -- do you want to put a cheap piece of glass between it and your subject?

I have been looking through the forums trying to find good advice on polarized filters. I have come across this argument in a number of threads by many people. I agree it seems logical to put a quality filter in front of your quality lens. However, are people just blindly paying for an expensive filter in the assumption that if they pay more the quality of product will improve?
The reason I ask is because there is a huge price variance in filters. I have found Hoya 77mm multi-coated filters for sale on amazon for about $75, I go to Adorama and I see Hoya 77mm multi-coated filters for closer to $150. I can't find a reported difference between the filters, they both have same title and size. However there is plainly a large price difference.
I don't mean to just single you out, as I said many people have used this argument, so my question is really intended for anyone who can explain the occurrence I have pointed out.

The most expensive 77mm Hoya UV/protection filter I see on Adorama is this one: http://www.adorama.com/HY77UVP1.html for $87.

I just realized that the filter I had been using for ages on my Nikon 18-135 lens which is as sharp as any other lens I have especially at the long end where I commonly used it was nothing but a cheap crappy Quantaray non-coated filter. And the circular polarizer sample photos I've posted elsewhere were also with a cheap crappy Quantaray/Ritz brand non-coated CP filter.

Edit: Oh, circular polarizers... I see one for around $120 on Amazon and $190 at Adorama, both appear to be the DMC PRO1 Digital variety. Just be careful about anything on Amazon that isn't coming from Amazon, which a lot of photography gear commonly isn't and check resellerratings.com I have no idea if the place offering that filter at that price on Amazon is legit or not so just check first.

Most reactions

Back