Advise on correct camera to buy

jpelk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

I'm looking for advise about purchasing the correct camera. I will be using the camera for work application to take photo's of vehicles for automotive dealership websites. I want to stay under $1000. The features I'm looking for are a great image stabalizer, wide angle lens, great image quality and lithium ion battery.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hello,

I'm looking for advise about purchasing the correct camera. I will be using the camera for work application to take photo's of vehicles for automotive dealership websites. I want to stay under $1000. The features I'm looking for are a great image stabalizer, wide angle lens, great image quality and lithium ion battery.

FWIW.
Image stabilization should be turned off most of the time, because IS can't react fast enough to correct for movement at shutter speeds above 1/500 or so.
Also some camera makers put IS in the camera while others the IS in the lens.
IS in a DSLR camera can't stabilize the view in the camera's viewfinder, but IS in a lens can stabilize the view.

Image quality is mostly about the photographer's skill and knowledge.

Most of these images will be run quite small; automotive website images are typically 300 to 600 pixels wide, at maximum, but even on a 1600-pixel wide image, there is PLENTY of image quality and detail resolution from any 12 to 24 megapixel camera...plenty! I would look at the Nikon D5300 camera as being a good example of what would work well, and still be low in cost, plus have a flip-screen for easy low-angle shots. The 18-55 kit lens--the one with VR, would allow slow-speed shots hand-held--but the majority of car images will be shot in at least "decent" light.

These newer Nikons allow in-camera "development" from RAW image files! You can adjust, edit, enhance the RAW file in the camera, and then create a JPEG image, in seconds. Or, use a compuiter. either way. I personally think a light weight tripod would be VERY useful to you, as well as a VEWRY wide-angle lens, like a 12-24 or 11-16mm, for inside-the-car views. Additionally, I really think an off-camera connecting cord for a speedlight, like the Nikon SC-28 cord, would be VERY handy, along with a speedlight (flash) and a diffusing system to create a sort of omni-directional flash light, for interior work.

Something like the gorilla pod would also be useful for 2- and 3-second exposures made using available light and the camera's self-timer, to show the instrument lights, but that would need to be done in a dim-ish light level for maximum impact.

You really do not need high-end gear for this: just a FEW, well-chosen items.

Agree, you can skip the IS and use a tripod.

Hello,

I agree IS should be turned off when using tripods, look at refurbished Canon 700D, 60D, etc.
with 18-55IS or 40mm 2.8
And don't forget the mirrorless camera options

www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Most reactions

Back