After two months with my first camera.

I looked at them. My question is: "What are you trying to accomplish?" Are you just taking snaps? Do you have a plan in mind, a focus? Are you shooting just to shoot? Are some of them connected to class assignments?

There seems to be a variety of images with the largest associated set connected to hockey. I wonder about the composition on some of them. Were things cut off by accident or by plan?

Overall, there is too much randomness for my interest level since it took a long time to open the link. None of the images jumps out and grabs me or suggests to me why it even exists, except for the hockey...and that seems self-explanitory but not related to anything else.

I would recommend that you determine an area of focus and devote your attention to exploring that subject, theme, texture, composition, etc. Then, the community can address your needs.

Rusty Tripod

I looked at them. My question is: "What are you trying to accomplish?" Are you just taking snaps? Do you have a plan in mind, a focus? Are you shooting just to shoot? Are some of them connected to class assignments?

There seems to be a variety of images with the largest associated set connected to hockey. I wonder about the composition on some of them. Were things cut off by accident or by plan?

Overall, there is too much randomness for my interest level since it took a long time to open the link. None of the images jumps out and grabs me or suggests to me why it even exists, except for the hockey...and that seems self-explanitory but not related to anything else.

I would recommend that you determine an area of focus and devote your attention to exploring that subject, theme, texture, composition, etc. Then, the community can address your needs.

Rusty Tripod

What am I trying to accomplish? Nothing except become familiar with my camera, it being my first and all. And to address the randomness, sorry about that. I'm just trying to capture a variety of things right now, I don't really have a plan. Some of the compositions in the hockey ones are off because of really, really poor lighting in the arena. Thanks for the advice.

After two months with my first camera, this is what I have...

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/trenton_romulox/

If you could, just look at some of them and tell me what I can improve on or what you like about some of them. I am just starting out, so any critique is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Trenton, It looks as if you are determined to be versatile when it comes to shooting a wide range of subjects, that is a good thing but do not be surprised if over time you find yourself paying more attention to a particular type of photography.

It seems as if the WB was not set properly for hockey shots.

Out of curiosity, Which camera and lens are you using?

I also suggest that you get the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and Learning to See Creatively, also by Peterson. They are probably the best books for people new to photography

Trenton, It looks as if you are determined to be versatile when it comes to shooting a wide range of subjects, that is a good thing but do not be surprised if over time you find yourself paying more attention to a particular type of photography.

It seems as if the WB was not set properly for hockey shots.

Out of curiosity, Which camera and lens are you using?

I also suggest that you get the book Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson and Learning to See Creatively, also by Peterson. They are probably the best books for people new to photography

Thanks for the reply. And yeah, I wasn't sure how to do the WB for the hockey because there are various kinds of lighting in the arena (flourescent and incadescent). I'm using a Nikon D80 with a 55-135 Nikkor lens. And I'll definitely check out those books. I got one, Beginning DSLR Photography I believe it's called, and that's been pretty useful. But I'm certainly open to more reading. Thanks again.

After two months with my first camera, this is what I have...

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/trenton_romulox/

If you could, just look at some of them and tell me what I can improve on or what you like about some of them. I am just starting out, so any critique is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Nice to see someone who's not afraid to experiment and learn what happens when... eventually you'll find what you like best.

I can't tell if you cropped the hockey photos to get them closer. Put a longer lens on your wish list. :) Try a higher ISO and as long as you are someone who enjoys working photos, learn to correct the color balance, or try to get it set better to start with.

Have Fun!

Thanks Enne and Race Photo. I'm glad people here are so supportive! Really makes learning much more fun when I know that I can show some of my work and people will really give me good advice. And I'm getting a 70-300 Nikkor macro VR lens soon, in a few weeks probably. Along with an external flash (Nikon SB-800 or SB-600). I'm definitely gonna work on the white balance for hockey next season (no more home games this season :()

Thanks again guys for the comments and pointers.

If you shoot in RAW, it is more forgiving and eaiser to properly correct the WB if needed, Also the original remains intact. BUT the files are larger and EVERY image needs to be processed/converted on a PC,Although you have many more tools available for editing.
Each camera mfg. has their own format of RAW which they have been known to change between models. Third party software tries to keep up to date with offering Plug-ins for new camera models. It's all I shoot in. Although it is an endless debate on forums

If you shoot in RAW, it is more forgiving and eaiser to properly correct the WB if needed, Also the original remains intact. BUT the files are larger and EVERY image needs to be processed/converted on a PC,Although you have many more tools available for editing.
Each camera mfg. has their own format of RAW which they have been known to change between models. Third party software tries to keep up to date with offering Plug-ins for new camera models. It's all I shoot in. Although it is an endless debate on forums

Yes, I shoot in raw (.nef). I use Aperture 1.5 to do photo managing and adjustments.

There are some in there that are quite good. The chameleon, for instance.

I like that you are not afraid to zoom in tight on things, but you overdid it in a lot of them. If you shoot at top resolution, you don't have to zoom in quite so much. You'll have plenty of resolution left for cropping later. Also, with the hockey ones, the exposure is off because the white of the ice tricked the camera. The camera's light meter made it gray. Next time, set about +1 of exposure compensation, and they will come out better. Crank up the ISO all the way too, so you can get fast enough shutter speeds.

The light painting ones are interesting.

There are too many of the skeleton. One thing you will learn is that you really need to pare down the collection that you display. Don't show them at all, unless you think they are great. As you get more experience and see more work of the better photographers, you'll get this a bit more. Many of us try lots of stuff, but we only save maybe one out of 20 or 50. As your photographic eye gets more tuned in, you'll take a higher percentage of keepers, and you'll be a tougher critic of your own work.

The pictures of Bella are also cropped a bit too tightly. Her ears are cut off at the tips, and her face is crowded in the frame. Cropping more tightly might work, as then it wouldn't seem like you were trying to get her whole head in.

The self portrait with flash is not good at all. Avoid flash in any shot into a reflective surface. The candle flame is missing something for drama, it's just kind of blah.

I think your sense of composition needs work. Read more and shoot more; it will come.

Also, maybe you're a bit distracted by the new-found technical quality? A lot of us fell into that. All of a sudden, after going to a DSLR, we find that the exposures are better, everything is sharper, things are framed how we intended them to be, etc. We are so distracted by this that we overlook the fundamental question: "What am I trying to show people?"

Sorry we're such tough critics, but you'll thank us later. ;) Your non-photographer family & friends will be amazed. You will be able to spot pictures that would have previously been acceptable to you, but aren't any longer, and you'll be able to put your finger on why not.

Keep it up!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back