Altidude affecting film?

skatephoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well this might sound dumb as hell but for some reason i remember someone saying that going on a plane can ruin film and i am going to colorado tommorow and i am taking my camera and film. Hahaha. i dont know maybe i dreamed it or something, but if anyone knows about this please let me know.
thanks

It's actually the metal detectors/xray machines you have to worry about. It can ruin your film. What I did last time i flied I just handed them my film before I went through the detector, they looked at it and didn't scan it. I don't think that the actual flying can do anything to your camera/film but I may be wrong.

as a pilot, I take my camera up with me whenever I fly, about twice a week, and usually snap pictures up to 7,000 feet, and have had no problems with any altitude effects.

It’s the machines they use for the checked bags that are bad for film,
the machine for carry should be ok for film under 1000iso

you can also get special film bags at your local photography store especially for carrying film on a plane. probably about 10 bucks each i think ?? for a bag measuring say 6 inches by 10 inches.

As most of you have pointed out it's the scanners that can fog some film and some of the new scanners are worse than the old due to higher radiation levels.
At higher altitudes there is also a measurable increase in cosmic and solar radiation that can also have an effect but it's normally very small.
Placing film inside any kind of material that blocks x-rays is not a good idea because that will immediately arouse the suspicions of the security people and they'll check it out anyway.
The best idea is just to do as StevieB suggested and hand it to security and tell them what it is and that you don't want it x-rayed.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back