Am I being "dumb" for buying a d7000 if I have a "passing" interest in photography?

I'm the type of person that If I were to buy the D5100, I would regret it and want to get the "better" camera. I've also heard the D7000 is "Nikon's best" or similar and this kind of interests me.

I'm the exact same way. About 2 years ago my daughter started to dabble in photography. I bought her a Nikon D100. According to the "research" I had done at the time, it was a professional grade product, but since it was so old, I got it inexpensively. She loved the camera, but didn't know how to use it.

This past Christmas I bought a D3000 thinking it would be an upgrade. I gave it to her two weeks before Christmas & borrowed her D100. Well, when we got together at Christmas she wanted her D100 back & I'm stuck with the D3000.

The D3000 is a fine camera & it's really beyond what I need in a camera, but I'm sure I'm going to sell it & get a D200, maybe a D300. I like the focus motor in the body. I like the aperture button where I can really see what my picture is going to look like. I like to be able to take more than 3 shots per second.

As a guy who was in your shoes only few weeks ago facing same dilema I can tell you go with the D7000, you will regret getting the D5100.
I chose the D7000 and deep in my heart I know I did the right thing!!!

D600 <---you'll enjoy even more as a consumer body
bigthumb.gif

D600 <---you'll enjoy even more as a consumer body
bigthumb.gif

I agree, if I were looking to spend that kind of money, I'd probably be looking for a deal on a D300s or even a D300, unless he's really got to have video.

"I have to admit I'm not a real photography "buff", but I do enjoy taking pictures when I go on (frequent) road trips. I enjoy mostly taking landscape pictures and maybe pics of Historic buildings and flowers, wildlife, etc, when I see them. I'm not into "HDR", editing photos to make them look like paintings, etc, I just like taking photos of things as they appear naturally, I don't wanna "mess" with them, as I think this defeats the purpose of photography."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Problem is - whatever Nikon you buy this is exactly what is waiting for you: "HDR", editing, etc. Plus inevitably you will look into lenses, filters etc.
I think - if you "just enjoys taking pictures" there is a lot of good quality non-DSLR cameras these days with decent glass and zooms from Sony or Olympus - much more practical, just point and shoot, control your apperture and shutter speed, and basically this is all you need. DSLR cameras are great and "serious" and all that, but in reality most people who say that they are "not really a photography buffs" would make much more (good) photos having a simpler, lighter, smaller, more convenient camera that they can alway have in their bag or pocket. A friend of mine takes amazing photos with her simple ( albeit not cheap) Sony RX100. I can not match it with my Nikon. Simply because she has a great eye. She is a great photographer, but as she says she would never buy a DSLR. All she wants now is Sony RX1. Because it is small and convenient and she can always have in her bag. And I can not blame her.

All she wants now is Sony RX1. Because it is small and convenient and she can always have in her bag. And I can not blame her.

Oh man the RX1 is one small yet powerful camera..........lets see did I forget anything ?

Oh yeh its cost 3000$ :grumpy:

If your friend can afford this kind of money on one simple non DSLR camera then she is a lucky lady!!!
I wish I could afford this camera too.

A lot of times when folks as me for a recommendation on something, I ask about their personality because there personality runs through all interests. I for instance Need not look at a D600, as I know darn well I'll get into it and end up buying the D800 after the d600. So I try not to buy twice. I want the best if I have something ( you should see my collection of $1,000+ fountain pens, or Takahashi telescopes. Anyway, get the 7000. It's a good camera you will be impressed, and not doubt yourself. You'll grow into it. Buy a kit lens. They are really good for the money! You'll learn and you will be rewarded by having a better camera and buy more lenses when you start knowing the difference. The kit lenses are so good for the money, they are worth it as throw away. JD

All she wants now is Sony RX1. Because it is small and convenient and she can always have in her bag. And I can not blame her.

Oh man the RX1 is one small yet powerful camera..........lets see did I forget anything ?

If your friend can afford this kind of money on one simple non DSLR camera then she is a lucky lady!!!

:lol: I am not sure she can afford it actually.. RX100 that she is using is about $550.

:lol: I am not sure she can afford it actually.. RX100 that she is using is about $550.
That is a good price, I saw it here in Toronto the RX100 goingfor 700$
The RX1 with its full frame sensor and small body is an amazing camera, the 35mm is an awsome lens tailor made for this camera but I need to admit while I dont need a lot of zoom being "stuck" with 35mm lens is a bit of a problem for me but this is very theoreticle because I cant afford this camera and if I could I would go for the Nikon D800!

:confused:
Hi.

I have to admit I'm not a real photography "buff", but I do enjoy taking pictures when I go on (frequent) road trips. I enjoy mostly taking landscape pictures and maybe pics of Historic buildings and flowers, wildlife, etc, when I see them. I'm not into "HDR", editing photos to make them look like paintings, etc, I just like taking photos of things as they appear naturally, I don't wanna "mess" with them, as I think this defeats the purpose of photography.

Anyways, I only have a Sony Cybershot dsc H20 right now and don't really care for it for taking lanscape shots as I don't think it's "wide" enough and I also want to get into DSLR. So after some research I've decided to go Nikon and I've narrowed it down to either the D5100 or the D7000. I have tried both at a local department store and prefer the viewfinder (larger) of the D7000. I also like the "dedicated" external controls of the D7000 over "going thru menus" on the D5100, so I'm leaning towards the 7000.

I'm the type of person that If I were to buy the D5100, I would regret it and want to get the "better" camera. I've also heard the D7000 is "Nikon's best" or similar and this kind of interests me.

Also, as of late I've been getting worried about radiation on Nikon cameras (I know I'm paranoid), am I being ridiculous? Should I worry at all about this?
Sorry, maybe I'm being stupid.

Time for tin foil hat maybe,I'd be more concerened with your cell phone vs a camera parnoid sounds about right

Hi.

I have to admit I'm not a real photography "buff", but I do enjoy taking pictures when I go on (frequent) road trips. I enjoy mostly taking landscape pictures and maybe pics of Historic buildings and flowers, wildlife, etc, when I see them. I'm not into "HDR", editing photos to make them look like paintings, etc, I just like taking photos of things as they appear naturally, I don't wanna "mess" with them, as I think this defeats the purpose of photography.

Anyways, I only have a Sony Cybershot dsc H20 right now and don't really care for it for taking lanscape shots as I don't think it's "wide" enough and I also want to get into DSLR. So after some research I've decided to go Nikon and I've narrowed it down to either the D5100 or the D7000. I have tried both at a local department store and prefer the viewfinder (larger) of the D7000. I also like the "dedicated" external controls of the D7000 over "going thru menus" on the D5100, so I'm leaning towards the 7000.

Also, as of late I've been getting worried about radiation on Nikon cameras (I know I'm paranoid), am I being ridiculous? Should I worry at all about this?
Sorry, maybe I'm being stupid.

Time for a tin foil hat maybe you are not serious?

YES!!!!! What you need is a digital "Brownie".

Used D700 and and a used 20mm f2.8D might be a good option if your strictly into landscapes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back