Ambush Volleyball (6th Grade Girls) C&C welcome

CMfromIL

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Back in the saddle now, got to shoot a game last night. Tried a few through the net (very hard!) but I'm going to keep at it. Got the serving down pretty well, now I'm going to focus more on net shots, and other on the court action.

Here are a few from last night:

AmbushOUT.jpg

AmbushReturn.jpg

AmbushServe.jpg

AmbushThruNet1.jpg

AmbushThurtheNet2.jpg

Have you done any editing to these? It's just, it seems to me they are a little reddish/purplish. Also, noise reduction goes a long way. Topaz denoise works for me. Added an example where I (tried) to improve the colour balance, reduce noise and sharpen.

Anyway, you've got some nice shots, imo. Great expressions, both in the players and the ones watching. I like these. You're pushed pretty far on ISO, but that's absolutely necessary to get these shots. So that's good from your side! The shots through the net actually doesn't bother me much. Imo, it adds to them.

Ohh, and nailing the focus is key. It gets harder at f/2.8, but should be doable. Some are a little soft. But that may be due to the high ISO as well.

AmbushServeedit.jpg

I did some editing. I had them with some pretty heavy noise removal, but it made the skin look plastic so I backed it off. I need to get my monitor calibrated I think, but I didn't notice they were that off on color.

Thanks for the tips. I would have preferred to be at ISO 3200, but the light was really poor. Even at 6400, F/2.8 I had trouble getting shutter speed much over 1/400. I would have much preferred to be at 1/500 or more. I noticed some motion blur on others that I didn't post.

Focus continues to be an issue, but I'm confident I'll get better as I keep shooting. Timing is the key.

Image 3 is ok, the others, I personally would have deleted. If you're working in dark gyms try shooting away from the action, alot more goes on during the games than just the action, alot of good stuff can come from watching the players on the bench, etc. Keep at it.

Image 3 is ok, the others, I personally would have deleted. If you're working in dark gyms try shooting away from the action, alot more goes on during the games than just the action, alot of good stuff can come from watching the players on the bench, etc. Keep at it.

If I were a professional, selling them for a living I would probably agree with you. I was pleased with my results, but will continue to work to improve my shots. I did think #1 was pretty good. I even cropped it for you. :lmao:

As long as you are happy with what you are shooting, seeing improvement each time, that's what you should aim for. I wouldn't have kept the first one at all. What do you find that makes this shot work for you?

As long as you are happy with what you are shooting, seeing improvement each time, that's what you should aim for. I wouldn't have kept the first one at all. What do you find that makes this shot work for you?

Mainly because it's a step out of the norm for the shots that I've been taking. I'm really trying to get shots beyond either serving, or setting. I like how the girl is in focus, and the ball is in the lower right, making it clear what's happening. I wish of course the leg wasn't there, but I'll take what I can get.

Again, maybe after I've got hundreds of games under my belt I'd toss it as well. But for now, it's a shot I like. Thanks for asking.

Thanks for taking the time to tell me why you'd keep this one. I look at pictures completely different based on experience and what I shoot. It does make me more critical of photos, which isn't always a positive thing for amateurs. When I cover events I see what other professionals are shooting. I've spent many years getting to where I am, and sometimes I do forget that.

The reason I think number one doesn't really work is because there just isn't enough context to put the girl's expression into perspective.

Number 3 is the best, while number 5 also lacks context, and it seems that the camera focused on the net instead of the girl.

Do you have any off camera flash?

That would help. Just two nice flashguns with one at opposite corners of the gym pointing up would be best!

#2 looks like she broke her elbow...

No off camera flash, not sure if they would be allowed anyways. Plus I spent all my monies on the L lens. I've got to save up for a speedlite or two.:lmao: This is all strictly amature, so I'm not generating any income. I just take them for fun. Thanks for looking and commenting.

CMfromIL Just to be COMPLETELY in the other court (hehe) I reckon you are getting pretty good shots in a really tough environment. I'm feeling your shots are too tight, though. I am missing the interaction in the game. I don't know the technical terms in volleyball but there's a person who pops the ball up for another to smash it over the net. Those two people work together and I guess I'd like to see that team work. Same when someone serves, I'd like to see the person waiting, etc. I know depth of field is an issue but it could be dealt with by using lack of focus as a positive.. wider shots with the focus directing my eye to the action you have picked out for me. Is that feasible or am I just not properly understanding the problems of the environment? Peter

Most reactions

Back