Amish boy caught me by surprise C&C

Status
Not open for further replies.
What annoys me about this photo is not that the subject is amish, but the idea that just because the op can take a pic he will.

There is a fundamental difference between art photographers and journalistic photographers, but it is all photography.

Rick has been gone for along time, but I'd like to clarify a point. The graven images in his quote from the bible refer to using and worshipping them as gods. Pretty sure it was not against sculpture, painting, carving or photography. If it was the catholic church is in big trouble.

I had no idea so many people on the internet were Amish scholars.
$image-4022506157.jpg

Here's a one-hour BBC Television program about an Amish family that opens their private life up to the cameras...I have not watched it...

Last edited by a moderator:
The Amish usually don't like having their picture taken.

So, we should be able to take a picture of whatever we want unless there is a rule against it such as a military base or something. I don't like country music, but I can I stop my neighbor from playing it? No I can't because it's his radio and music that he own and his right to listen to it. However I don't think the OP got in his face and made him feel uncomfortable since the subject moved in front of him unexpectedly.

Well this thread is going to get locked down fast if everyone don't take a chill pill and relax.

Oh my :shock:
I didn't even KNOW you're not supposed to take their photo when I did.
They never even expressed in body language or in any other manner that they did not want their photo taken. They eyed us very curiously all the while, listening in to us speaking German among each other, and I had the strong feeling they had a desire to establish contact but didn't know how, as they were very young and maybe a bit shy and total strangers to us, as we were to them...

(Can't link the photos I wanted to show [as link only so I wouldn't highjack the thread] to here, don't know why, maybe because my Flickr is set to "Private"?)

Oh, this was in Technical Challenge and Assignments? I moved it to the General Gallery.

This is COMPLETELY different. It's a religous belief for them. Their religion does not permit graven images. Even the little girls dolls can not have the likeness of a face

And......

I'm not Amish....

I also eat pork in front of muslims all the damn time. Can't help we have to share a lunch room just like Amish share our public roads....

The Amish usually don't like having their picture taken.

I know, I should have captured the photo from the back. I was shooting horses in a farm across the road and then suddenly the horse and buggy came rushing down the road. It was hard to let him go by without a photo.

No, it's not really hard at all. Just don't press that little shutter thingy.

I live about 30 miles from the heart of Pa Amish country and go there on a regular basis. I routinely pass up beautiful photo's of the Amish at work and play... out of something called respect.

Ya know, I actually saw a tourist attempting to pose two young Amish children on a bench. When their father saw what was happening he was visibly upset, but never said a word to the tourist.

I have the utmost respect for these people

I have the utmost respect for all people, but when in public all are fair game!

I disagree. How would you feel if you did something embarrassing and it was caught on camera and plastered all over the internet? Would the "When in public all are fair game" rule still apply?

I don't shoot so-called "Street" photography for this very reason. I'm of the opinion that everyone has the right to expect a modicum of privacy even in public. I only shoot people photographs when they are in a setting where they would expect to be photographed. For example in costume for an event. I do not walk down the street shooting photographs of people simply because they have an interesting expression or because it is something embarrassing to them. I treat people the way I would like to be treated, and that doesn't include somebody sticking a camera in my face simply because they feel they have a right to do so.

This shot was wrong. The OP knew that the Amish do not wish to be photographed by his own admission yet he took it anyway and put it on a forum for everyone to see. I personally feel that they have the right to their own beliefs, and I do not find this respectful of their way of life in any form.

OP: you have a misleading title. The image is really about the horse. The boy can barely be seen.

And since everyone else is an expert on the Amish, I'll chime in with my own $.02 having lived a farm field away from an Amish community while growing up. Yes, they like to be private. Yes, they prefer not to be photographed. However, It's one thing to invade their property or an Amish gathering to get a photograph but it's another thing if they are in a public setting. There are many people who visit Amish country but do not know their customs and shouldn't be crucified for taking a picture of them if they happen to be blowing by in their totally bitchin buggy on a road that is used by all.

... There are many people who visit Amish country but do not know their customs and shouldn't be crucified for taking a picture of them if they happen to be blowing by in their totally bitchin buggy on a road that is used by all.

How about when they DO know their customs? There is a significant difference in my opinion.

I disagree. How would you feel if you did something embarrassing and it was caught on camera and plastered all over the internet? Would the "When in public all are fair game" rule still apply?

I don't shoot so-called "Street" photography for this very reason. I'm of the opinion that everyone has the right to expect a modicum of privacy even in public. I only shoot people photographs when they are in a setting where they would expect to be photographed. For example in costume for an event. I do not walk down the street shooting photographs of people simply because they have an interesting expression or because it is something embarrassing to them. I treat people the way I would like to be treated, and that doesn't include somebody sticking a camera in my face simply because they feel they have a right to do so.

This shot was wrong. The OP knew that the Amish do not wish to be photographed by his own admission yet he took it anyway and put it on a forum for everyone to see. I personally feel that they have the right to their own beliefs, and I do not find this respectful of their way of life in any form.

Yes it would. It happens all the time, everywhere.

That being said, I may bring my camera down if an Amish person passes by, while giving them a head-nod of respect. I also will not make images of the homeless.

But I sure will not bash someone else for taking a picture of someone in public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back