Anna at Sierra Tower

I

Iron Flatline

The shoot from hell... bad location scouting from me. I wanted to do a shoot with a "Jilted Girl" theme, but never really checked out the place as thoroughly as I should have. It's a friend's apartment, and I remembered it as being an interesting place to do a relatively sexy photoshoot. Turns out his whole bathroom is mirrors! Every wall! There is NOWHERE to hide, and every lightstand is visible, AND casting a shadow off i's own light. Weird.

It was a lot of fun though... just friends. My friend's girlfriend was hosting us for the day, and she is friends with the model and the make-up / hair girl. My wife provided salads and white wine.

I have to admit I never really found a creative groove, and in many ways got overwhelmed by the technical aspects of lighting the shoot... which I believe I ultimately fumbled.

But hey... better than NOT shooting!

Make-up test, no lighting except sun bouncing off white floor:

4224774470_821cf0a7e5_o.jpg

A last message before leaving the place for good!

4224773428_fa8d218aff_o.jpg

... and maybe I'll have some fun now that I'm free...

4224774268_ebaa042bf4_o.jpg

A few last shots in the entrance before getting the make-up off.

4224007753_1a6219ef19_o.jpg

I really like that last one.

And the first one, even though it was just a make-up test, looks good to me too.

Those are the two I keep going back to, anyway...

Interesting set. I hope you will take the concept further. Are you using any off-camera light? A monolight/softbox and collapsible reflector are easy to transport. I've bounced a monolight off of walls or ceilings when I didn't want to mess with a softbox or beauty dish. You can even trigger the monolight(s) with on-camera bounce flash if you don't want a radio remote...

There are two strobes at work here. She's leaning on the counter, and to the left of her in the corner is a nano-stannd with a 580 EX II with 1/2 CTO Gel under a Honl Grid snoot pointed at her face/hair, 1/4 power if I remember correctly. There is another nanostand with a 550 EX to the right of her, in the corner of the bath with a 1/4 CTO on it, set to 1/32 power. Of course, the old yellow'd tungsten bulbs are all on in the bathroom, too... I guess I'm please the lighting looks borderline realistic - as though I used no lights - but I was going for a highly stylized look and think I missed that by a mile. Like I said, I just couldn't get a groove going...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back