Another Nikon issue. This time D810

88fingers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I can't believe I'm the first to discover this.
I called nikon and they have admitted the problem.
My D810 and probably most D810s have a rattle when moved.
This is coming from the flash unit.
When the flash is up, there will be no rattle.
When the flash is in the normal down position, there is a rattle if you mildly shake the camera.
The distance from the internal camera mics to this flash rattle is about 1 inch so the mic will
pick up this sound. If you're a photographer it will never bother you. If you make videos in
a quiet environment and have to move the camera during a video, this noise will be recorded onto the audio of your video. Although it is subtle, if audio is of any importance, it renders this camera to be far from a pro camera as it is being marketed by Nikon. The pro audio guys (such as myself) are in disbelief how Nikon could have missed this.

I can't believe I'm the first to discover this.
I called nikon and they have admitted the problem.
My D810 and probably most D810s have a rattle when moved.
This is coming from the flash unit.
When the flash is up, there will be no rattle.
When the flash is in the normal down position, there is a rattle if you mildly shake the camera.
The distance from the internal camera mics to this flash rattle is about 1 inch so the mic will
pick up this sound. If you're a photographer it will never bother you. If you make videos in
a quiet environment and have to move the camera during a video, this noise will be recorded onto the audio of your video. Although it is subtle, if audio is of any importance, it renders this camera to be far from a pro camera as it is being marketed by Nikon. The pro audio guys (such as myself) are in disbelief how Nikon could have missed this.

I wouldn't use the internal mic if I'm a pro audio guy. :D

Forget about audio or video quality. Think about build quality.
Are all you D810 users now noticing this rattle ?
Do you think a $3K camera should have a rattling part ?

Forget about audio or video quality. Think about build quality.
Are all you D810 users now noticing this rattle ?
Do you think a $3K camera should have a rattling part ?

Nope. Post up a video. I want to see it! :D

You joined today just to tell us of this? There are many here who own this camera, and I'm sure they would have already noticed it. I haven't heard anything about it. Matter of fact...... I've been drooling over that camera since it's release!

I never noticed that on my D810...
I have it since late July 2014...

The 800 does the same thing, not a big deal. Not even a small deal actually, unless you like to shake your camera around like a rattle while shooting. But that's just my opinion but we all know what they say about opinions don't we.

............ not a big deal. Not even a small deal actually, unless you like to shake your camera around like a rattle while shooting........
What, doesn't everybody?! I know I can't wait to start hurtling mine around the minute I start shooting!!

I just went out and shook all my cameras. I didn't hear any rattling but now my right arm is really sore. :D

I just went out and shook all my cameras. I didn't hear any rattling but now my right arm is really sore. :D
You need to contact nikon and tell them they need to add a warning that their equipment may cause arm fatigue. As it is I'm sure their liable for something.

Last edited:
I just tried this with the gripped N90s; I think I broke something in my wrist.

edit: Oh crap - that was a waste; no flash.

Update :
Some 810s don't have any rattle.
Some 810 have significant rattle and some very minor.
Its not like the 750 problem where its there or its not.
I think Nikon is not going to take this matter seriously, and they will implement the amount of rattle in the flash's spring as part of their quality control.
I must say I'm surprized at how a rattle doesn't bother some photographers. I guess some audio guys could care less about picture quality.
I care about both. Also as an audio expert have to congratulate Nikon on the great quality of the A to D audio conversion on the mic input of the 810.
If I turn the gain to its lowest possible setting, 1. (thus rendering it like a line input) and use good mics with and external preamp, the AD audio conversion is about as good as a $2000- stand alone converter. Very impressive ! You have to use a stand alone mic preamp because the Nikon can not supply 48V phantom power which all pro condenser mics need. Most Pro camcorders have line inputs and 48V on off switch for mics to be plugged into directly but that subject may be beyond the scope of this forum. (I can tell from the responses in this thread)

Update :
Some 810s don't have any rattle.
Some 810 have significant rattle and some very minor.
Its not like the 750 problem where its there or its not.
I think Nikon is not going to take this matter seriously, and they will implement the amount of rattle in the flash's spring as part of their quality control.
I must say I'm surprized at how a rattle doesn't bother some photographers. I guess some audio guys could care less about picture quality.
I care about both. Also as an audio expert have to congratulate Nikon on the great quality of the A to D audio conversion on the mic input of the 810.
If I turn the gain to its lowest possible setting, 1. (thus rendering it like a line input) and use good mics with and external preamp, the AD audio conversion is about as good as a $2000- stand alone converter. Very impressive ! You have to use a stand alone mic preamp because the Nikon can not supply 48V phantom power which all pro condenser mics need. Most Pro camcorders have line inputs and 48V on off switch for mics to be plugged into directly but that subject may be beyond the scope of this forum. (I can tell from the responses in this thread)

No video no care. Noob!! :D

Way to treat the new guy with absolutely no respect, guys. Seems like one-upmanship at it's worst - one member has a snarky retort, so everyone else tries to best it.

@88fingers I never heard of the rattle problem until you brought it to our attention. I appreciate the heads-up and I'm glad you didn't go on a campaign to ruin Nikon's business over this. It's unfortunate that some of the replies were somewhat crass and sarcastic towards someone just trying to help and educate.

I have a D810. I just picked it up and discovered it, too, has the rattle you mentioned. It's not a loud rattle, but I imagine it could be picked up by the mic. But... I moved my camera around as if I was shooting video, working the camera side to side, up and down, etc. No rattle. The amount of movement of the camera required to make mine rattle would also make the video unwatchable. But then, I wasn't actually shooting video and didn't have the mic on.

Can you test this out? Shoot a short video to demonstrate the noise, as it's picked up by the mic and can be heard during playback? How much movement would you have to do to hear the rattle and would the video still be smooth enough for normal watching? Post your findings on You Tube.

As far as my camera, it's not enough to warrant returning it for a fix. Maybe it's more of a problem on other cameras. I agree that Nikon should have caught this in early production, if not sooner. I wouldn't blame them for not recalling all the D810s, but I do think it should be fixed for future manufacturing runs, if possible. For those who are affected by the problem, the work-around is to raise the flash, but not let it fire - press flash/compensation button below the flash up button, use the rear control dial to turn flash off.

I hope you stick around. Most of the members will treat you better than you've been treated in this topic. That's my experience anyway.

Jim

Most reactions

New Topics

Back