another question from teh n00b

nitefly said:
Ah ok, thanks Rob.. So F number depends on the size of the lens, and the F number being low is what makes the background blurred out?

http://www.digital-cameras.com/digital-cameras/fuji-finepix-s5600.html?sort=price&assist=on&f_c=1&q=

What size lens does that camera have do you recogn? I can't find it on the site.

Yes, low f-number = narrow depth of field - blurred foreground as well as background, but with a narrow area of the picture being in focus.

Zaphod's covered most of the important details. With digital compact or prosumer or ZLR cameras you need to adjust the effective length in millimetres to what an SLR would be to get understandable lengths.

37-370mm will cover most people's needs and the f-number isn't too bad either.

The only thing about that model and similar is the electronic viewfinder which won't be a problem for your young sharp eyes, but is an issue for me.

Rob

nitefly said:
Ah ok, I get it. So what sort of f number would be ideal for the "blurry background"?

lol... ideal would be about f/1.2. But this is the real world and I assume you're not the Sultan of Brunei (... right?). Actually f/3.2 should be fine, although if you were going for an SLR I'd recommend getting a fixed 50mm lens with a max aperture around f/1.8. The benefit there is not only a shallower depth of field but also the ability to use it with faster shutter speeds (which can be very useful in low light). Plus fixed lenses tend to produce nicer images. But you're unlikely to get a DSLR and lens for £400. Probably best to get a camera like the Fuji or one of the Panasonic FZ range and move onto SLRs later.

Ok so I'm really confused. I would be taking photos at football matches and would like to zoom in on players so zoom is a must really.

What type of camera do you mean by "like the Fuji"?? Is an SLR a film camera? Sorry for being such a n00b but i really do appreciate all of this help your giving me!! :D

I think you are confusing zoom with telephoto. A zoom only means that it covers a range of focal lengths. A 18mm-35mm is a zoom, but it's a wide-angle.

But yes, for a football match, you want a telephoto lens. Whether it's a zoom that covers into the telephoto range or a fixed length depends on a few factors already mentioned. A fixed length (prime) lens tends to be of better quality for that focal length and will have a larger max aperture allowing you to have a shallower DOF (less in focus). A zoom allows you to pick from a range of focal lengths.

SLR is single lens reflex. All it means is that the viewfinder sees what the lens sees. Some people use it to mean interchangable lenses, but there are plenty of SLRs with fixed lenses, and plenty of interchangable lens cameras that aren't SLRs (like some rangefinders and TLRs). Most decent digital cameras show you what the lens sees, so they should be considered "effective" SLRs, even though there aren't any mirrors used. In reality, SLR doesn't apply to any camera that doesn't use mirrors, which is any that use an LCD as a viewfinder.

Wow, I hadn't even heard the word "telephoto" since now. I still don't know what a DSLR is though.T hanks alot for the help mark though.

After all of the help, my guess at what a DSLR is: a SLR with a digital screen?

I'm getting the idea of things a little now. Do photographers have more than one lens that they keep with them and change their lens according to what type of photo they want to take?

nitefly said:
I'm getting the idea of things a little now. Do photographers have more than one lens that they keep with them and change their lens according to what type of photo they want to take?

Most do yes.

If you have a camera with interchangable lenses. I presonally prefer to use fixed focal lengths (50mm and 85mm) and switch between them. Some people like to use a zoom and just leave that on. With many cameras you just use the lens built in because they don't swap.

A DSLR is short for digital SLR. In the truest sense of the word, these would be cameras that use a normal viewfinder that sees through the lens, but doesn't use an LCD for the viewfinder. Some of them have interchangable lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back