Another test shoot | Self Portrait - 'The Detective' | Outtakes

sscarmack

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Testing out the new Einstein again, and I absolutely love this strobe. The quality of light is amazing, the ease of use and portability is perfect for my kind of shooting.

No more running wires everywhere, no more tripping over them. I'm even thinking of getting one, maybe two more.

I definitely want to get some modifiers.

This shoot came from my last wedding I did. I got a new hat (fedora) and everyone loved it. I got my name "Scarmack" Photography stitched on the side and I received a bunch of positive feedback from it.

This is what I usually wear to my weddings, a nice button up, a nice pair of black pin striped pants with matching vest and some slick black shoes. The hat is also Pinstriped.

I've always wanted to take some 'nicer' dressed pictures, rather than jeans and a t shirt.

Maybe my title may be off, but I feel this would be perfect for a 'private investigator', 'detective', or some kind of 'hit man' haha.

Let me know your thoughts, the good, bad and ugly.

These are all straight out of camera. Working on 'getting it right' in the camera. I often rely on 'I'll fix that later' in photoshop.

Outtakes
$20140718-001_zps30f5ac58.jpg

Behind the Scenes
$20140718-001-2_zpsaf9bf8c7.jpg

Camera Settings
Nikon D4
1/250
f16
iso50

Edit
View attachment 79748

Composition
View attachment 79907

Composition 2
View attachment 79909

Last edited:
happen to have another light to do a camera axis fill that's like half the power as the main? if not, that relfector needs to be moved in to fill in a bit better. you're really dark on your right side.

happen to have another light to do a camera axis fill that's like half the power as the main? if not, that relfector needs to be moved in to fill in a bit better. you're really dark on your right side.

Yeah I have one more light, however I don't have another light stand haha.

I didn't want to much fill, as I thought it wouldn't be as 'dramatic'.

But, maybe its too much shadow.

^^^That. BUT...
Damn Sean!! Look at you looking all sexy!! I love the 4th one but you do need a little more fill.

Don't let Maria see this! She has a no shirt rule for male portraits...hehe

Time for another pair of light stands and a grip arm for the reflector! I like the quality and temp of the main light, and I think the rim light is about the right strength, but like everybody else, I am craving just a bit of a look at the shadow side of the face. I dunno...split lighting has never been a favorite of mine. One side dark, other side light. Yeah, in theory it always sounds good, but in its realized form it often disappoints (like so many ABC comedies).

Derrel, that sounds about right! I also need a nice boom arm, so I can get that main light right above the camera.

Here's one with a little more light on my face. After this shot I turned off a light, to try and get more dramatic. I should of left it haha

$20140717-020_zps61447a63.jpg

Derrel, that sounds about right! I also need a nice boom arm, so I can get that main light right above the camera.

I agree, a boom arm is very handy. I started off my studio lighting career back in '87 with the Bogen Heavy Duty Boom and Rolling Stand, $259.99. That was a month's rent back then, plus $20. I still have it, and a second one I got years later. One of THE best investments I ever made in lighting. Nowadays, with the influx of low-priced lighting and grip gear from China, it;s possible to buy simple boom arms for a low price, cheaper than they have ever been. If you put a boom arm on a good C-stand (the ones the Strobist blog recommends from Midwest photo Exchange look GREAT and only $99!) there's not the need for a big, massive rolling stand, AND you also have a good stand for non-boom uses too.

Here's one with a little more light on my face. After this shot I turned off a light, to try and get more dramatic. I should of left it haha

View attachment 79732

yeah, i prefer that. it's still dramatic but you can see more detail. if you really wanted dramatic, prevent the light from falling onto the bg.

in this shot the rim light doesn't hit you well.

yeah, i prefer that. it's still dramatic but you can see more detail. if you really wanted dramatic, prevent the light from falling onto the bg.

in this shot the rim light doesn't hit you well.

I think in this one, I had the rim light bouncing of the reflector, I can't remember though. But now that I see it, I do agree.

I agree, a boom arm is very handy. I started off my studio lighting career back in '87 with the Bogen Heavy Duty Boom and Rolling Stand, $259.99. That was a month's rent back then, plus $20. I still have it, and a second one I got years later. One of THE best investments I ever made in lighting. Nowadays, with the influx of low-priced lighting and grip gear from China, it;s possible to buy simple boom arms for a low price, cheaper than they have ever been. If you put a boom arm on a good C-stand (the ones the Strobist blog recommends from Midwest photo Exchange look GREAT and only $99!) there's not the need for a big, massive rolling stand, AND you also have a good stand for non-boom uses too.

I'll look into that, thanks :)

Nits to pick. I MUST pick at nits or die!

I'm guessing that your normal countenance is a near smile. That's good! I wish mine was that instead of a frown. Anyway, if you're going for "grit", perhaps attempt a small frown.

The last picture is by far better with more light on you.

Nice looking "lid".

Nits to pick. I MUST pick at nits or die!

I'm guessing that your normal countenance is a near smile. That's good! I wish mine was that instead of a frown. Anyway, if you're going for "grit", perhaps attempt a small frown.

Yeah, I always have a 'smirk' haha. Good input. Did I mention I hate self portraits? haha

The last picture is by far better with more light on you.

Nice looking "lid".

I agree, now that I see it.

Thank you :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back