Another year, another haircut, another selfie up for C&C.

The lighting is really nice. It's very flattering and soft, which works well with your expression.

However, I do agree that the tones are reallllly yellow/green.

Here's my rendition from my calibrated monitor. There's still some odd greens in the highlights, and I'm not entirely sure what could be causing that.

16304450625_9026a48a8a_c.jpg

Last edited:
Here's my rendition from my calibrated monitor. There's still some odd greens in the highlights, and I'm not entirely sure what could be causing that.

It could be ambient light bleeding in due to the key light not being strong enough as the primary light source and/or slower shutter speed.

Oh great job on the color correction. I'm horrible with it in Photoshop! :D

Last edited:
I liked the second of your two shots and skin tone looks good but I am not a pro, the hand up created more interest imo, the skin looks a little warmer is the first but I still prefer the second

Since you have a studio you try a custom WB, just grab a coffee filter and give it a shot! :)
Other than your wb being off a little, the photos great, and you (and your hair) look even better!!! :)
Thanks for the idea! Ive looked up how to set up the custom WB on my camera a few times and I always seem to get there by accident so I guess that is why I dont use it more often. Guess I will have to give it another go!
Well, I "am" on a calibrated monitor, but it's the laptop and I still don't quite trust it. Those first few look WAY yellow on the tint. The ones further down and edited get closer to what I think is natural skin tone, but not quite. Does anyone else notice this? Maybe I calibrated wrong?! It looks like the white balance is way off.

The lighting is really nice. It's very flattering and soft, which works well with your expression.

View attachment 93477

Oh great job on the color correction. I'm horrible with it in Photoshop! :D
[/QUOTE]

Redbobncat: I think this looks like the most accurate color so far, at least to my screen/eye. Ill see if I can match it!

As for the green-

It could be ambient light bleeding in due to the key light not being strong enough as the primary light source and/or slower shutter speed.
No ambient light in this one, the room was completely dark and the studio strobe was definitely the only exposure in the room. That said, there is a teal curtain hung up. I have it hung backwards so the white side is showing, but I would guess maybe its some sort of reflection off of that since the strobe is in that direction.

I liked the second of your two shots and skin tone looks good but I am not a pro, the hand up created more interest imo, the skin looks a little warmer is the first but I still prefer the second
Thank you for taking the time to chime in! I agree about the pose. Im not sure I like where I cut my hands off in the other one. Posing isn't my strong suit quite yet!

View attachment 93477
Did you do this in photoshop? I am trying to match it in aperture and no matter where I place the sliders I dont come close! I can sort of match the grey in the background, but I can't seem to get the skin to look the same. Did you mask off the skin somehow and do a separate correction? I haven't learned WB in photoshop yet- perhaps I should?

As for the green-

No ambient light in this one, the room was completely dark and the studio strobe was definitely the only exposure in the room. That said, there is a teal curtain hung up. I have it hung backwards so the white side is showing, but I would guess maybe its some sort of reflection off of that since the strobe is in that direction.

That sounds like a perfectly plausible explanation.

So I tried giving it a go in cs6 instead of aperture. I get en extra slider in there!! WOO HOO! I only get cyan/yellow and green/magenta in aperture. Apparently the extra option makes a world of difference! I also added a second layer where I tried to take out more green and brush it over the highlights.....

Am I getting somewhere here?

water 077 (2).jpg

Great shot! I won't add anything else about colour correction, you all seem to be doing a fine job of getting it right! I think Rexbobcat's edit and your last one are pretty much there.

Nice hair, by the way! ;)

Great shot! I won't add anything else about colour correction, you all seem to be doing a fine job of getting it right! I think Rexbobcat's edit and your last one are pretty much there.

Nice hair, by the way! ;)

Thanks Forkie!

Nice haircut. You're as adorable as usual.
I was trying very hard to be "unbiased". Heck, she could be purple for all I care........ hawt!! :clap:
Purple is one of my favorite colors. :winksexy:

Ps- purple is one of my favorite colors as well! Not only is it my birthstone- but I have eight out of fourteen Windows in the house with plum curtains! Guess I like it a little too much.

Last edited:
Yes, your last edit looks really good. Now get that monitor calibrated! :boogie:

Nice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you!

Yes, your last edit looks really good. Now get that monitor calibrated! :boogie:
great idea! Would you like to buy a print to fund the software? ;-)

Kidding of cose. Unfortunately a new hard drive is higher on the list than monitor calibration. Aperture and photoshop crashes at least twice a day since our current one can't handle it. I'm waiting for the entire thing to give out any time now. *sigh

Kidding of cose. Unfortunately a new hard drive is higher on the list than monitor calibration. Aperture and photoshop crashes at least twice a day since our current one can't handle it. I'm waiting for the entire thing to give out any time now. *sigh

Poor's man/woman monitor calibration trick is to print it out and adjust your monitor to match your print. The only thing is that if your LCD is not IPS, then you have to look at the monitor at a very specific angle. :D

Poor's man/woman monitor calibration trick is to print it out and adjust your monitor to match your print. The only thing is that if your LCD is not IPS, then you have to look at the monitor at a very specific angle. :D
I actually have done that to match costcos printer for now! Doesn't help that I need to refine my "eye" for white balance. I'm on an iMac, so I doubt the monitor is IPS.

Most reactions

Back