Any D200 rumors?

JDP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.pavleck.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There was a rumor about a D200s coming out, but I only found the one hint about it on a forum and it doesn't seem so reliable - just curious as to if anyone has heard anything about an updated version.

I ask, because I had some stock that I'm cashing out, and with it I'm upgrading my D50 to a D200, as well as the 18-200 kit lens and picking up the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 ($450 for a lens that is on par with Nikons 17-55, which runs 3 times that - I highly recommend it, been borrowing one off and on for awhile now) - just don't want to get burned with the whole "Bought it, then it was upgraded" syndrome.

hehe, thanks!

camera bodies come and go, they will always be upgraded . . . you'd be best off to wait until a new camera comes out (rumored to be a d3 or d3x or somthing) and hope the d200's price goes down. then you get an even better deal than before.

Ah, but the thing is, when would it be released? Odds are it would be at Photokina, another 6 months away, ya know? I'm sort of jazzed about this - and I suppose to, that if I haven't exhausted the capabilities of the D200, why should I even worry.
I wouldn't really even upgrade from the D50 except I want a grip, the poorer quality casing is starting to look it, and I'm starting to get some shutter slap - figure I'm 2000 or so shots away from getting really annoyed at the camera, so might as well do it now.

If you have something to shoot now, do it. If not, than you make the call.

camera bodies come and go, they will always be upgraded . . . you'd be best off to wait until a new camera comes out (rumored to be a d3 or d3x or somthing) and hope the d200's price goes down. then you get an even better deal than before.
They're skipping the d3 and/or d300. My current photo teacher beta-tested the d400/d4. From him, it should be on the market within the year.

I'm almost surprised that Nikon hasn't yet released a d200s. Though, what would they change? I think the d200 is a fantastic platform: good resolution, good speed, and intuitive, on-body controls. Fujifilm thinks so too, apparently, since they've used the body for their newest camera, if i remember right.

Ah, interesting. Well hell, I'll probably go and upgrade now anyway - hopefully they release the replacement for the D2, so I don't have to even think about it, since it'll be awhile before I need to use a camera so much that I'll be dropping $5000 on it.
Not to mention, I'd probably wait a year to buy a 'just released' camera anyway, some times to work out the bugs in the firmware and what not.

i'll buy the d2xs when they release their next pro body . . . unless its that much better. with the price drop i see no reason not to buy a d2xs, its still tougher, faster, and higher res and dynamic range than the d200 (or is the dynamic range not as good? i don't remember now)

How many of the D2xs were sold? Seems most of the pros around are using the D200 for just about everything except school shoots and the like.

Honestly, anything beyond around 18 mpxls is going to have new glass to go with it because 35mm format lenses just aren't designed to resolve that finely. Either the materials will have to be developed or they are going to have to rethink the basic design.

The only thing that really needs to happen right now is an increase of dynamic range. The DSLRs we have now are as sharp as they need to be up to a print of what 20"X24" and can be extrapolated to billboard size?

Who here prints at 20"X24" or larger enough to warrant more resolution?

JDP, get your D200 now and enjoy it. It's a joy to hold and you might not put it down for a week! Have you ever refused to go on a date with a good looking girl just in Case a gorgeous one came along? No? Smart man. ;)

mike

I'm holding out for the D2x's or either the new D200 if it uses the 12mp sensor.

Just for the fact that the file size ='s that of a scanned 35mm film file.

The only other upgrades other than MP I'm looking for are weather sealing and a separate fstop wheel.

Till then my D50 will do just fine.

i print that big on a regular basis . . . hmmm i guess that warrents a ditital hassy?!?!!? - - - i wish

Indeed, I think I will grab that D200 now - it's just that whole upgrade-phobia thing ticking in the back of my head. But I figure with the new body, plus the new glass to add to my collection, I'll be a lot better suited, especially since I won't have to rely on the local camera shop to have the lens I need available to rent - which is almost always the 17-55 f/2.8 anyway hehe.

Most reactions

Back