Any electronics buffs out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by midget patrol, Jan 11, 2007.

1. midget patrol

midget patrol TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Capacitor (c1) wired as follows:
    [​IMG]

to adjust charge capacity of capacitor (c1), you could add potentiometer (r1) in series to serve as a voltage divider, as shown, correct? And this would allow you to modify the voltage supplied to c1, thereby modifying it's charge capacity, right? Or would that just change the time it takes to recharge fully?
    [​IMG]

If that wouldn't work, what would allow you to adjust the capacitance of c1 (aside from replacing c1 with a different capacitor)?

2. darin3200

darin3200 TPF Noob!

i'm not really into electrical stuff, but it would make sense that a potentiometer would control of the level stored in the capacitor rather than the time.

3. astrostu

astrostu Guest

My memory could be not serving me well, but I think putting the variable resistor in there will only alter the time it takes to charge/discharge. A fundamental property of a capacitor is its capacitance, and nothing can really alter that ... if I remember correctly.

4. midget patrol

midget patrol TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yeah, i figured that one out today. That's unfortunate. I guess I could use a potentiometer wired in series with the load... thanks guys.