any free RAW processing programs???

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by DIRT, Apr 11, 2005.

1. DIRT

DIRT TPF Noob!

does anybody know of any free or trial RAW processing software programs?

2. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

From what I understand the different manufacturers have slightly different RAW files so you have to have a program specific to it.
    Olympus do a free plug-in for PS to process theirs if you don't want to use Master software.
    Other manufacturers may do the same.

3. DIRT

DIRT TPF Noob!

i have a canon 10D but i only have PS 5.0

4. Daniel

Daniel TPF Noob!

You can download a trial version of Capture One from www.phaseone.com, IMO the best RAW converter out there.

You can download the full version of Raw Shooter Essential from www.pixmantec.com for free.

5. tr0gd0o0r

tr0gd0o0r TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    You should have either gotten a program with your 10D to deal with it or should be able to download one from canon.com

6. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Go to Canon's website and download Digital Photo Professional. It's free forever, although I agree, that C1 is far far superior, and LE can be had for $99.

7. tdshepard

tdshepard TPF Noob!

The latest version of Gimp (which is free, both libre and gratis) understands RAW, or you can use dcraw (see below) to convert. Gimp is an excellent image-processing application except for one major flaw, which is that it is limited to 8-bit/color-sample (i.e., 24- or 36-bpp color space, where 36 bpp really means left-aligned 24-bpp in a 36-bit word). While 24 bpp is sufficient to reproduce all the color fidelity most humans can discern, you need the extra bits in most RAW files for highlight and shadow recovery (converting detail that is there but not humanly perceptable to detail that is perceptable).

See www.gimp.org.

dcraw provides a command-line utility and library for converting most any RAW format (including proprietary ones) to portable pixmap format. Then you can use any ppm-compliant utility (e.g. ImageMagick) to convert to your desired format.
    (I am pretty sure Gimp uses dcraw for its RAW import.)
    Here is a URL:

www.insflug.org/raw/software/tools/dcraw.php3

Bibble is a very nice RAW processing program, which uses dcraw for input, that you can have free for a 14-day trial period. I use the full BibblePro version on an AMD XP 3000+ system running Linux 2.6 and am very happy with it. You can use Bibble for general processing, color balance, exposure compensation, highlight/shadow recovery, etc., and then pipe the output directly to Gimp for further processing. Go to

www.bibblelabs.com