Any GIMP users?

CDG

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, I generally run Photoshop (5.5 on my old laptop, 8.1 in my newer computer). My middle aged computer has now switched to Linux (Xandros desktop OS), which I like, except for the fact that I have to pay $80 to get the Code Weavers (Windows compatibility which would allow me to use photoshop 5.5 or better). BUT, Xandros comes with GIMP, which is an open source (free) graphics program. Does anybody know of a good tutorial on this program? It looks fairly powerful, but does anybodh here have experience using it to recommend/diss it? I'm not planning on turning away from Photoshop, but it would be nice to have the capability to doctor images in my Linux system without having to go to another computer...

I have only played with GIMP a little when I used to run Linux, but I can tell that it is indeed a very powerful and worthwhile image editer. You should be able to find tones of tutorials by googleing, good luck :)

Gimp is great. I used it for a couple of months after my PS buggered up.

If you've got a bit of PS background, then you should be able to use the tutes for PS in Gimp as well. Sometimes things are called slightly different things, or in a slightly different spot. But if you understand the gist of PS you'll definately understand Gimp. I also found it's a lot faster than PS and likes older computers a bit better than PS does.

Yes, I'm running this in a coppermine 1.0 ghz (socket 370) dell with 256 megs of RAM. It's a little sluggish for XP, so I went to Linux which I love, and is many times more stable. Im going to have to play with GIMP sometime when I get the time. I have a significant ammount of photochopping experience. :D

Grokking is also a print book I think you can get it on amazon

Gimp is a fantastic tool because of its simplicity. I would be a total Gimp convert once they add adjustment layers to their tool. It is the only thing keeping me from using gimp all the time. Another advantage of gimp is that their native file is ALOT more efficient (compressed) than than photoshop, especially if you have alot of layers. Sometimes the difference can be 15mb!

I use pshop 5.5, i've tried all the later version of pshop they has alot more whizz bang options which are great - I just don't prefer them. Once Gimp gets adjustment layers, i'll put me pshop 5.5 in the bin and use Gimp.

I will look into that tutorial. I apologize for my sluggishness- I have not had the time to look back here. I agree that Photoshop has been getting fatter and fatter as time rolls on. 5.5 is what I use in my old underpowered laptop for that reason. I prefer using 8.1. My school's art computers went to CS, which I was unimpressed with overall. I don't feel it is worth the upgrade. Certainly not for the cost.

Using Gimp all the time, really cool program. So far I'm not missing anything that photoshop had to offer.

I really dig it's plugin programming interface with the possibility of using Python. It's quite easy yet powerful :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back