Anyone ever get two filters stuck together?

Jon_Are

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yeah, I did. My ND seems to be welded to my polarizer. I've used my last ounce of finger strength in attempts at separation, but no go.

Short of putting it in a vise - which I know is a recipe for disaster - I'm at a loss.

Anyone else have this happen?

Thanks,

Jon

I have found that if you use your fingers and put them EVENLY around it, then you have a better chance than just using two fingers or gripping it with your hand and trying to turn.

Hope that helps ya

~Michael~

Do you think if it is possible to put a rubber band on each filter and try?

On my lens I keep a UV filter on it all the time. Once in a while I put my CPL ontop of it. I have found theres a "sweet spot" when turning the CPL that sort of "unlocks" it from the UV filter. It may be my imagination or something, but I have tried to unscrew them as best as I could and then I would turn the CPL a little bit at a time and theres one point where it takes very little effort to unscrew them. I was surprised and thought I was the only one that experienced this. I'd say give it a shot.

Light a match under them. Kidding, but try applying a touch of heat to loosen things up. Had it happen to me once, just warmed them up with the heat from my hands. Good luck.

Light a match under them. Kidding

If you're a smoker, you're in luck!

I just find that we tend to have a better sense of what a lighter will and will not burn from certain distances. If you're going to do it with the filters, which actually IS NOT a terrible idea if you do have the "touch", for the love of god don't put flame directly on them.

Could try sticking them in the freezer for a bit. One filters ring may contract faster than the others. Also try tapping them lightly on a countertop corner like you do a jar that wont open.

I have found that if you use your fingers and put them EVENLY around it, then you have a better chance than just using two fingers or gripping it with your hand and trying to turn.
That's what always works for me.

Any good camera store should have plastic filter wrenches. Cheap and easy to use.

http://www.amazon.com/Adorama-Filter-62mm-77mm-Filters-Package/dp/B00009R8I6

They come in different sizes.

Best way to solve the problem, would be to filters with brass housing instead of aluminum. They are found on better quality filters at of course a higher price, but they don't get stuck.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I appreciate all the replies, I'll try them all.

In the meantime, it occurred to me that a couple of rubber tourniquets might do the trick.

I won't get my hands on them, though, until work tomorrow. :mrgreen:

I'll let y'all know.

Jon

I like the temperature idea. I would set the top one flat on a frozen steak or something for about 10 seconds. I bet it just slides after that.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The trick is, as mentioned, try to use even pressure around the circumference. Squeezing only a couple points will put pressure on other spots, making it even harder.

To prevent this in the future, try using a regular pencil to get some 'graphite' onto the threads. This will act as a lubricant and make it easier to unscrew.

try using a regular pencil to get some 'graphite' onto the threads.

Great idea, Big Mike. I will do that.

Jon

Wow big mike.. that is a great idea .. Let me do that as well. Just in case.

Most reactions

Back