kelox

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Coming to you live from Planet MAXXUM, home of the
Website
homepage.mac.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
My GF was rumaging around in the closet and kind of matter of factly said,"hey you wanna look at these?" I took a quick snapshot of them and wanted to know more about them, so I'm posting them here. Can anyone tell me anything about these? Can they still be used? If so, where would I get film and what kind?

First up, the twins;
nitehawk.jpg

second, a leather covered Brownie No.3
brownienum3.jpg

Thanks for looking.

How fun! "the twins".... :lol:

Have you popped open the backs of them? I'm inclined to say 120 film, which is readily available. But you won't know till you take a peek at the take-up spool, which (hopefully) is in the backs of each camera.

Hold the cameras up to the light and peek through the back to check the lenses for mold and dirt. It could be they will work fine with a little TLC.

I'll wait for Mitica or someone who may have the identical cams to weigh in here.

there are two hawkeye flash versions; one will accept 120 film for the supply spool, the other requires the spool flanges on a 120 to be trimmed to 620 diameter in order to fit. if you remove the housing, you should see information for film type.

you can also reverse the lens in its mount to create images similar to what 'lensbaby' lens produces.

it's really a neat camera to play with. cheap too. $5 these days in great condition.

But of course terri... ;)

Your 'twins' will both take 620 film. There were two types of Brownie Hawkeye, the original (made between 1949 and 1951) and the 'Flash' type (made between 1954 and 1962).

There are still places where you can purchase 620 film such as:

Film_For_Classics

Central_Camera

Also you can roll your own 120 into 620 if you have a 620 spool. Here are instructions:

Respool

Respool-620

Their value isn't that great, JonMikal was right on the money (pun intended) in pricing them.

The camera below is a Brownie Model 3, which used 124 film. This box camera was made bewteen 1908 and 1934. Despite its age it won't bring you a lot of dough, they're ever so popular and many, many were produced.

Hope this helps.

Thanks folks. I wasn't too worried about the value. I just wanted to know if I just got three more cameras. I am not sure how to open the Brownie. There are two clips on it. I opened both and the lid slide as if to come off, but then stopped. I'll look at the twins again and see if I can open them as well. I'll let you know how it turns out.

But of course terri... ;-)
Mitica is God.... :hail: :hail: :hail:

:lol: (don't slap me...) It was on the tip of my tongue to suggest 620, but I thought he should get the back off first. Between the twins I am hoping he has enough spools to successfully roll from the 120. woot!

Kelox gets Terri-props for just wanting to know if these babies will work. :thumbup: I hope you can figure them out, I bet those twins still have a lot to offer. They should take fun shots on a DC outing. :sexywink:

JonMikal said:
.....this and a dollar may get you a cup of coffee at Ben's :lmao:
You need some too, punkin? :mrgreen: Be a nice boy and that coffee could be yours! Decaf, even. :thumbup:

terri said:
You need some too, punkin? :mrgreen: Be a nice boy and that coffee could be yours! Decaf, even. :thumbup:

crap you caught me. :lmao:

kelox said:
Thanks folks. I wasn't too worried about the value. I just wanted to know if I just got three more cameras. I am not sure how to open the Brownie. There are two clips on it. I opened both and the lid slide as if to come off, but then stopped. I'll look at the twins again and see if I can open them as well. I'll let you know how it turns out.

With the Brownie 3 you might want to pull out the film winding knob as far as it goes without forcing. That, I believe, will release the inside of the camera and it will slide out. Good luck.

JM, Terri, Mitica100;
Thanks to you all for your answers. I'll try to get by the local cam shop and see if I can pick up some film for these. Hopefully they will work and I'll have three more cameras!!!!! (i thought christmas was last month????:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ) If it all works out, you may be seeing pics from the new cams soon. I'll keep you posts as to how this unfolds.

kelox said:
JM, Terri, Mitica100;
Thanks to you all for your answers. I'll try to get by the local cam shop and see if I can pick up some film for these. Hopefully they will work and I'll have three more cameras!!!!! (i thought christmas was last month????:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ) If it all works out, you may be seeing pics from the new cams soon. I'll keep you posts as to how this unfolds.

you want another? :D

Most reactions

Back