anyone use a mac computer????

it's weird how many complaints there are about windows computers getting virus's. i haven't run any kind of anti-virus software in probably three years and i'm yet to have any kind of virus or related problem. and it seems like when i stopped using norton i stopped getting virus's. i could just be lucky though.

It takes a bit of common sense to do this, which a lot of people lack. I once spent days helping a woman get her machine back up to snuff and educated her on what to do and not to do to keep her machine virus free...

Within days she had disabled the AV I had installed because she wanted to be able to open attachments people sent to her.

YYYYYYYYYYeah. K. Good luck then!

For a number of reasons macs are pretty well the standard in the graphics industry...
Well, people keep claiming that, and yet I see a definite majority of PCs in my daily work (as a graphic designer and photographer). Why is that? Everyone should know by now that Apple made a big change in their product philosophy for around ten years ago putting a big focus on home users (non professionals) from earlier being mostly for the graphic business. Of course this was made to increase profit from this vastly larger target group. I'm not saying they have abandoned the professionals, they have their MacBook Pro and Mac Pro which still are very good machines.

Back to topic: Stay away from MacBooks and the 20" iMac. The displays in those are pretty poor and you will have a hard time calibrating them.

What are your thoughts as far as doing things with pictures?

You want lots of processing power, lots of ram, lots of hard drive space, and Adobe Photoshop. Given the same resources Photoshop runs the same on both Mac and PC. Compare prices of similar power systems, and you will spot the significant difference between Mac and the various popular PC brands.

ugh this again... you can plug an external monitor into a macbook, and calibrating is a breeze if you have the right apps
Yeah, and you could put a V8 in your Prius... As for the 20" iMac, I am told it uses TN panels which is really poor for graphic work. No calibrating soft- or hardware can change that.

Yeah, and you could put a V8 in your Prius... As for the 20" iMac, I am told it uses TN panels which is really poor for graphic work. No calibrating soft- or hardware can change that.

fortunately, it's much easier to plug a monitor cable into a laptop than custom fab a v8 job into a prius. If not, then most of the world would be screwed and I'd be making a whole hell of a lot more money.

over exaggerated comparisons FTL

i gotta be honest, I dont understand one word you just said... I think your talking about cars though.. and to compare plugging a external monitor into a macbook to a v8 in a prius is LUDICRIS.... the macbook has a MINIDVI OUT you but a mini DVI to VGA or DVI, OR Svid, whatever you want.. they are 20 bucks.. and you plug it into your macbook, and you plug the external monitor into that... you tun your calb software (which took me 2 minutes) and it looks great.. you dont have to calb if your not doing graphics work, but I do.. and so do most people on this forum.. so we calb

i really love my black macbook.. however it has a small screen and not the greatest screen and so i really want to upgrade to a big 24" iMac which are solid machines.

yes, macs are the greatest, once you try it seems you cant go back.

as far as photos are involved, iPhoto is a great simple program to organize, and they do sell Photoshop for mac as well. also apple does sell a few programs for photoing editing but they are not as advanced as PS. thats my rookie knowledge at least

So what you guys actually are saying is- buy a MacBook AND a decent monitor because the internal is insufficient for serious use? Ok fine. I hope the OP takes that into account when buying a new computer. :)

Ooopss, look. There's a miniDVI port on my ASUS laptop too! Maybe I should plug a monitor to that? Nah, no need. Even though it costed like a MacBook it has a display resolution of 1680x1050px... (runs for cover) ;-)

Don't turn this into a mac versus PC debate.

"MacBook AND a decent monitor" is the same as "Win Laptop and a decent monitor."

Most portable displays (PCs and MAC) are geared towards low power consumption and rather poor for photo/graphic arts use.

The fact that you "run for cover" == you troll!

As for the latest MacBook, as I said before... I wouldn't recommend it. That's coming from me a die hard Mac user. I posted this before and surprised no one cared to ask details.

Me, I'm looking for last years model MacBook Pro. Until then, G5 dual workstation and G4 powerbook are still chugging along just nicely. Honestly, a good spec'd Windows box or Mac will serve 90% equally.

atropine, why you gotta be like that man? theres always someone who tries to egg people on... so annoying... and for the record, I have no problem editing photos with my macbook monitor, I just PREFER to use an external... my macbook monitor is calibrated, and pictures look good on it, i can just see MORE using a bigger monitor..

So what you guys actually are saying is- buy a MacBook AND a decent monitor because the internal is insufficient for serious use? Ok fine. I hope the OP takes that into account when buying a new computer. :)

Ooopss, look. There's a miniDVI port on my ASUS laptop too! Maybe I should plug a monitor to that? Nah, no need. Even though it costed like a MacBook it has a display resolution of 1680x1050px... (runs for cover) ;-)

And my Dell notebook has 1920x1200 screen resolution. But 17" < 24" when it comes to photo editing or recording audio.

The new 13" macbook has an upgraded integrated graphics chip that was designed by nvidia. It's more than sufficient to run most programs and some games.

And unless he's running PS4 or Aperture, then most programs don't use the gpu, unless he's trying to play games. In that case, any 13" notebook is a dumb choice.

You should really try plugging your laptop into a monitor. It's really helpful and can make working with any programs that require a lot of real estate that much easier. And they don't even costed that much.

here here!! good post VI... as for the recording studio... you gotta site??? i've recently started a small home based studio, and am always interested in what people are using.

Not me. I've always used a PC and grown into it.

Maybe one day I'll switch to a Mac, but not right now.

I was actually devating with myself with what to buy next, PC or Mac for photo editing and such. I think I'm sticking with PC. I don't think I'll be hooking it up to the internet anyways o.o

Most reactions

New Topics

Back