anyone use a mac computer????

I switched from a PC in Summer 05, Im not going back !

I love the mac.

Macs are nice, but in all honesty, they are clearly inferior. The lack of hardware and software support for the Mac OS just leaves you with at best stripped down versions of Windows software. I have 2 PCs and a Macbook and there is absolutely nothing that my Macbook can do that my other PCs can't do a vast majority better.

Macs are "dummie" friendly, as in, you don't have to worry as much about viruses and other negative effects that you would need to pay to fix not having a basic knowledge of troubleshooting. Though with that, comes the inferiority of Macs, they simply can't do everything a PC can. You'll find yourself searching for software replacements on a Mac that comes standard on a PC. In my honest opinion, using both over 4 years, there is no reason to own a Mac -- unless you like paying for looks.

There's so much in that post that is just plain incorrect... a lot of common mis-statements by typical window's groups that don't understand the differences.

Hardware support for example. By your argument, UNIX systems are clearly inferior because of the lack of hardware support.. obviously not but not targeted towards the home user either. Keeping a tight control over the hardware support usually translates to a more stable system. This is the reason why enterprise systems including IBM and HP general don't support non-their-branded parts and hardware. Apple/Mac follows this example as well. A large portion of the mess within windows boxes is not Microsoft but the third party code that ties into it. It is a double edged sword. By allowing third party software/drivers, Microsoft has to deal with a support nightmare and finger pointing between Microsoft and other vendors. But on the same coin, Microsoft is able to attract a larger array of equipment and hardware.

Another reason was the aggressive marketing of Microsoft 2 decades ago. There was a time that you would stroll into a software store and see versions for a variety of O/Ss. Microsoft did a very good job of squeezing out the competition by sheer marketshare and leveraging (the whole DirectX versus OpenGL comes to mind).

In the end....

Windows systems can do everything a Mac can and Macs can do everything a Windows machine can. If you say otherwise, it is an opinion from the viewpoint of your needs in a computer and does not hold true in general. For example... from a UNIX administrator's standpoint, a MAC can more easily integrate... after all it is a BSD based system with a REAL shell (ksh, bourne shell etc.). But to say that alone makes MAC superior to Windows is also an incorrect statement. The same holds true from a Gamer who can name a wider selection of game titles for Windows... but to say that alone is a reason that makes Windows superior is also an incorrect statement.

People who still think of Apple from the 80s (IIe) and their popularity in education makes it a system for "dummies" are totally off-base and have very little understanding of MAC OS X. That is plainly obvious.

(note: Please MS... kill DOS cmd.exe and provide something better will yah!)

Me.. I am a Mac user (Windows and UNIX on a daily bases). It brings to it all of the advantages found in many UNIX systems (stability and flexibility) while incorporating a very nice user interface. For games, I still have a windows box... but that's about all it is used for.

Last edited:
I use a iMac 24 at home and at work.

Works great for me... easy to calibrate and dead once calibrated.

I have been with PCs going on 15 years now, was a diehard PC fanboy.

Built my own machines, learnt the ins and outs of all Windows OS's from Windows 3.1 to Vista 64 premium, even had a dabble at OS2.

PCs are great, if you like the options and customizability, however at some point it just hits breaking point.

I rarely ran anti-virus programs and probably only had one virus outbreak in the 15 years.

I only had one spyware problem which almost crippled my system if it weren't for the spyware forums. However this was due to the inherant problem of IE and not downloads, at such point I switched to firefox.

My gripes with PCs have always been when something goes wrong. When for some reason despite years or maintenance and good running, Windows just won't boot. It comes up with a blue screen with a wall of text, you reboot and it does it again. Try to load in safe-mode and it freezes.

I've had to re-install windows THAT many times, that it's crazy.

Then there's system restore that came with Windows XP. Can anyone say headache?

It just got too much when I would spend complete days trying to solve a problem, error checking from point to point and in the end having to re-install the OS.

The other problem would be networking and hardware recognition. For some reason, Windows just wouldn't let me network, despite coax cables, automatically assigned and custom IP addreses, DNS Servers, manually going into command prompt (MS-DOS) and trying to ping the IP that I had allocated with no success.

Installing a network card and Windows flatly not recognising it.

It all got too much when I upgraded my old machine, with a Cure 2 Duo processor, new Mobo, graphics card, ram hard drives DVD multiburners, all top of the line stuff.

Windows Vista 64 premium KEPT freezing on me every time I booted to install. It would take literally 30 minutes to get to the first screen, an hour or two to get to the next and eventually konk out due to an error reading the disc.

Windows XP installed fine

Windows Vista 64 premium would work if i put the DVD in my 6 year old 4x DVD burner. However as soon as I tried to read anything on my new DVD drives it just wouldn't.

They were SATA, so adjusted their port positions to try and re-configure the slave / master setups.

Nothing.

I spent 2 days waiting for the windows vista install, trying different tricks with no success.

I even went and bought another DVD drive as the store i purchased the original from was closed, and thought it was a problem with the DVD drives.

Nope, same problem.

DVD drives not working.

At first I thought it was Vista 64 being the problem as many forums posted problems with hardware recognition. But I couldn't return the OS because it was an OEM version and I had already installed it on the system once, meaning it was not transferrable.

I tried downloading and loading all the updated firmware, software updates everything. Even updated and flashed the BIOS.

No resolution.

The computer also had trouble reading one of my hard disks which had all of my old files on it which was absolutely necessary to keep.

I was starting to pull my hair out at this stage. It should have worked, it was a brand new system, brand new gear, put together correctly.

I went to store for advice, but they didn't know what the problem was.

After about a week of trying I went into BIOS AGAIN, and for some reason thought of adjusting the SATA controller protocol.

Voila, the DVD drives worked. The hard disk still didn't work.

I managed to find a pretty detailed way of converting the hard drives file system to one that was recognisable by Vista 64 (it used to be a NTFS file system, but Vista couldn't interact with it).

Then after all this, I installed a new wirless card in and windows didn't recognise it.

I'd spent over $1000 and the machine still didn't work properly.

My wife had been trying to get me to Mac for years. I had been defiant because of my PC history, but had to admit it was ridiculous what I had to go through just to get the system to work.

I went to a store and tried a mac. I liked the layout, I'm a musician, graphic designer and photographer so really liked the moviemaker, garage band and other features that would help inspire my creativity.

Overall, the approach seemed really fresh and energising.

I ended up purchasing an Imac 24" top of the range, with Adobe CS3 creative premium package, and took it home.

It booted easily, without problems, I created my profile and everything seemed so easy and free.

I ended up making a dual-boot with Boot Camp as I still had some games, and Windows only programs that I wanted to keep, and this was easy too.

Windows installed and ran perfectly and even aut-detected all of the apple hardware. All of the apple hardware controlls (on the keyboard worked in windows). Everything was just too good.

I noticed that Apple isolates the Windows Partition, meaning that you can get to the windows partition from OS X, but you can't get to the OS X partition from Windows. Meaning any problems me or my wife come into on Windows won't be distributed to the Mac.

I find myself rarely going into Windows anymore, and still love the mac to pieces.

The word I use for the mac is "inspiring".

I don't know whether I'd purchase a "PC" (technically a MAC is a PC, but you know what I mean) again. Even if i did, i'd purchase a MAC operating system for it.

I know that MAC is kind of creating technology and programs that only work with Apple products, but this is easily surpassed in the Windows boot with programs like Tunebite (converting Apple M4p files to Avi or other formats).

Anyways, I understand that both systems can work to the same potential, but I just had enough of spending too much time to get the Windows PC to work to the same extent as the Apple did naturally.

Almost anyone else I have spoken to who has used a MAC after being a PC user for so long, swears by them. They just got fed up with the constant need for maintenance and fine tuning, which in these day and ages most people don't have time for.

Anyways, long post, but I would consider myself quite objective and would gladly recommend a MAC to anyone I meet.

Things must be different in Sweden, because i've yet to see anyone, one single company, or even professional individual, in the graphic design industry here using PCs in my 15 years of experience.
no they're not.
i don't know where he works and where he studyied, but the vast majority of universities, students/pros etc use mac here.
that said, i'm a mac user myself and not looking back to my windows days. works so much smoother and with so little problems. not to mention how the OS is much neater, customizable and user friendly.
not that windows is evil. but mac is just way better in my opinion.
that said, i don't use my powerbook much for photo editing/graphic but rather for music, especially composing with reason.
for recording, we have a imac with protools. the mac+protools combo seems to be anywere if you go in a pro studio, too, i've seen very few exceptions.

Great post tBAM.
Very objective...echoes's my experiences as well.

-------------

Last edited:
Dell doesn't actually make anything. Like many laptop and computer manufacturers (like Apple in a way), they produce packages of other products.

A Dell computer is just a tower with various peripherals attached to a Pentium or AMD motherboard and chip.

As for Apple building computers with everything already installed.

I used to think about that, but realistically, technology is accelerating at such a speed that you'll need a new motherboard anyways due to differences in chip sockets.

And what's the point when you put the new parts in, and for some reason Vista or Windows fails to integrate them properly.

As I said Windows PCs are good and work just as well as an Apple, but I can't be buggered with the effort anymore.

By the time my Apple is out of date, my lease period will almost be over and I can just get the latest greatest one for no extra cost other than a monthly payment.

Computers are better leased than owned these days, in my opinion.

But then again, if you want to a $500 home job upgrade, then you're never really going to be thinking about an apple. It's pretty obvious (to me) that Apple doesn't want to pursue that market.

I hate to tell you, but I believe the only thing actually "made" by apple is the cases. They're most likely done by a third party manufacture for Apple though. Hitachi DVD drives, samsung screens(?). Some of the same parts that are in Dells, HP, etc...

The only true product made by apple is the OS and software, and even some of their software is developed by third party companies, iirc.

Here's the harley davidson comparison again. This popped up on an Apple forum.

Harley vs. Japanses motorcycle manufactures.
Apple vs. Windows machine manufactures.

Harley's marketing depends a lot on feeling and image and look and culture. Japanese motorcycle manufactures (Yamaha from now own for less typing sake) market less on feel and image in comparison and push numbers and starts.

Example? Buell, the ultimate backroad machine vs. the 180hp Yamaha R1. That's how you'll often see the products described by the manudactures.

And the perception that Harley is 100% American made? Not true. And one of their cruisers even has an engine designed by porsche.

Is that a bad thing? No. They demand a premium and their motorcycles are usually marked up from MSRP where as Yamaha motorcycles and easily be had for under MSRP. Harley has a huge following that owns harley, buys harley, and lives harley. Yamaha riders are as apt to jump ship and ride Suzuki when they drop the next big thing.

It's marketing. It works. Do both motorcycles/computer do almost the same thing? Yes, just in different ways. Buy what you want and/or need.

My problem is I hate propaganda and myths.

I hate to tell you, but I believe the only thing actually "made" by apple is the cases. They're most likely done by a third party manufacture for Apple though. Hitachi DVD drives, samsung screens(?). Some of the same parts that are in Dells, HP, etc...

Of course, it wouldn't be feasible for a company (like Apple) to manufacture each and every component. They still maintain a tight control over which of those devices are actually supported. HP and IBM drives are a mix of western digital and seagate but sold through the HP or IBM branding. The idea is that they only support the items that have been tested to properly integrate with the target O/S. This effort upholds the final quality of the entire system. Those items are still considered non-third party.

Windows has a wonderful mix of supported hardware... that is their advantage. The disadvantage is that they don't have direct control over the quality and interoperability of those items. They depend on the third party to properly go through QA. Microsoft also takes a beating whenever a ill system is actually failing due to some third party driver (or software). In the end, customers don't care who is at fault. They still see Microsoft Windows branding on boot up and everything is their fault even though it is not.

In short.... a partnership between a company and a component manufacturer does not automatically mean the product is third-party with third-party support with third party quality.

To bring your motorcycle example into it.... the engine (designed by porsche) is still considered a Harley engine and not a third party engine. No different than the Sony/Hitachi DVD-R drive in a Mac. It is still an Apple DVD-R drive not a Sony/Hitachi third party. If the drive fails, you call Apple NOT Sony/Hitachi. If the Harley engine fails, you all Harley Davidson NOT Porsche.

Letsay a graphics card is not interacting properly in a built Windows system. Who do you call? Microsoft? Graphic's card maker? Motherboard maker? Dell? etc... How many people opened a support ticket and ended up with two parties pointing fingers at each other neither taking ownership of the issue?

Last edited:
Just to answer your question, I've been using MacBook for 2 years now and waiting for the new MacBook Pro to be delivered. :wink:
Macs are better than PC's in almost every aspect. If you're interested in photography, they're the way to go.

Last edited:
It's still a 3rd party drive. Look in the hardware menu under preferences, It says Hitachi, or intell, or whatever. Of course you don't have to call the 3rd party to get it fixed, same as with any other prebuilt computer, but that doesn't change the fact that it isn't an Apple DVD drive or and Apple LCD. Just like a motorcycle's breaks are brembo or Nissin. If something happens, it's covered under warranty but it doesn't change the fact that Yamaha didn't desing and produce those components, just like Apple didn't design and produce the DVD drive, the memory, the processor, the screen, etc...

By your logic.. then there is no such thing as 1st party hardware.

Even the processors in Solaris servers are made by Fujitsu..... So I guess 100% of all Sun servers running their original processors are third party?

"Third-party software component, reusable software component developed to be either freely distributed or sold by an entity other than the original vendor of the development platform" from Wikipedia\. The same can be applied to hardware.

The hitachi drive that came in the macs was sold by the original vendor not another entity (regardless who is the manufacturer). The differences between Apple and Microsoft is how much control they maintain over the hardware supported by the "original" vendor. It is a double edged sword with adv and disadv on both sides.

By your logic.. then there is no such thing as 1st party hardware.

Even the processors in Solaris servers are made by Fujitsu..... So I guess 100% of all Sun servers running their original processors are third party?

"Third-party software component, reusable software component developed to be either freely distributed or sold by an entity other than the original vendor of the development platform" from Wikipedia\. The same can be applied to hardware.

The hitachi drive that came in the macs was sold by the original vendor not another entity (regardless who is the manufacturer). The differences between Apple and Microsoft is how much control they maintain over the hardware supported by the "original" vendor. It is a double edged sword with adv and disadv on both sides.

Apple processors are Intel chips. They're not Apple C2D chips. It's an Apple computer. Apple did the R&D and picked the hardware they wanted in the machine. They did not make the hardware and it's not even rebranded. By my "logic", things are branded/rebranded/packaged/designed/etc... by a company. And except in the case of rebranding, and even then, those are not components that are made by a manufacture.

I mean, if you want to replace your hard drive in your apple computer, where are you going to find a 300gb Apple HDD? There is first party hardware, it's just not common in the world of computers. Apple's new frame for the MBP is an Apple product. It was designed by them and manufactured by whoever they paid to manufacture it. Apple didn't do the R&D for their hard drives, processors, memory, screens, blue tooth modules, etc... They did do the R&D on the might mouse whatever. They did the R&D on OS X, the Iphone, Ipod etc...

Just because a company produces something doesn't mean that every componeny in it is also a design of the company that produced the full working product.

Canon has 1st party CMOS chips. They did the R&D on them. But Nikon uses Sony chips, there for, they're not Nikon sensors.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back