Anyone using Cinefilm(specifically 400d) and do you use warming filters with it

Joel Bolden

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've just ordered my first roll of Cine400D to try and I'm curious if anyone is shooting it. With my Flicfilm 200T I use a type 85a warming filter, but from what I've read Cine400 is a new "cinematic" type film optimized for daylight. Since I'm using TTL cameras anyway, I'm thinking I may be able to adjust WB in post, rather than use a filter.

I've just ordered my first roll of Cine400D to try and I'm curious if anyone is shooting it. With my Flicfilm 200T I use a type 85a warming filter, but from what I've read Cine400 is a new "cinematic" type film optimized for daylight. Since I'm using TTL cameras anyway, I'm thinking I may be able to adjust WB in post, rather than use a filter.
Since it's daylight balanced, the only warming filter I'd recommend would be an 81 series, depending upon the light and desired results. For example, shadows in the snow might benefit from an 81a filter.

Last edited:
Yeah, I have an 81 also. I guess I'll just have to play around and document. I'll be shooting a major whitewater race on the 25th which means glare, shadows etc. The main shooting will be with my DSLR, but I'll have my Dynax 9 loaded with this.

Yeah, I have an 81 also. I guess I'll just have to play around and document. I'll be shooting a major whitewater race on the 25th which means glare, shadows etc. The main shooting will be with my DSLR, but I'll have my Dynax 9 loaded with this.
Let us know your impressions of that film.

I'd go for any filter-ish adjustments in post, definitely, and avoid any filter factor screw-ups/surprises/regrets.

I'd go for any filter-ish adjustments in post, definitely, and avoid any filter factor screw-ups/surprises/regrets.
Those of us who digitize our film but don't post-process except maybe cropping, have little choice but to use filters upon occasion - though I personally try to minimize their use.

Results of shooting Cine400D(SOOC) Shot at box speed: First 2 are with type81 filter(+1/2 stop EV). Next 2 are no filter. Last 2 are with Type 85A filter(+1/2 Stop EV). Hardly a conclusive test...that would have been shooting the same subject with and without filters in the same conditions. However, the fact that they advertise Cine400D as "daylight balanced" seems to borne out. All the clear(no filter) shots were fine. Test camera was Minolta Dynax9 with Minolta AF70-300lens. I really like the film. For the speed it has fine grain and excellent contrast. I"ve ordered more
000330730001.l type81.jpg
000330730009.l type81.jpg
000330730016.lclear.jpg
000330730018.l clear.jpg
000330730021.ltype85a.jpg
000330730022.l type85a.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back