Apologies in advance....

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Corry, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    ...but...I must ask this OH so popular question, AGAIN. I know there was recently a thread similar to this, but for the life of me, I can't find it. A friend of mine recently had a birthday...her brother approached me today (he still hasn't gotten her anything) and wanted to know about digital cameras, cuz that's what she asked for...he wants to stay below the $250 range if possible, and she just wants a point and shoot. Something easy to use, but takes nice pictures. I've been browsing dpreview, but it's tough for me to decide from that. I still don't understand what to look for in sensors and stuff like that. Sooooo....any suggestions??? Or, any tips on what I should look for?

2. tr0gd0o0r

tr0gd0o0r TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Biggest sensor, with the most mega-pixels, with the biggest optical zoom. I'm sure that someone will probably get a little more in depth here, but i think thats the basics.

3. Floyd

Floyd TPF Noob!

A lot of people mistakenly think that the image quality directly relates to the amount of megapixels but that's not totally true, the most important thing is to get one with a really shlt hot colour card and a fair amount of megapixels.

4. Ant

Ant TPF Noob!

That's pretty easy. I bought my g/f a digital P&S a few days ago.

Just tell him to go buy a Canon powershot, either the A75, A85 or A95 are all great P&S digitals. Just pick the one in the relevant price range and she'll love it.

5. Floyd

Floyd TPF Noob!

tell him to bauy an Olympus Camedia because they're good you could probably get a real cheap C4000 in the US now as they've been out for a fair while.

6. Ant

Ant TPF Noob!

Yeah. I've got an Olympus...C750uz and I'm very pleased with it, so an Oly was difinitely on my short list when buying for my g/f but the Canons felt a little better put together to me. All the Olympus cameras in that price range just felt a bit more plasticy. I've no doubt they'd perform well though.

7. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks everyone!!! Anyone else have any reccomendations, keep em coming, cuz I won't see this person til Monday, so I've got a little more time to research. :)

8. mygrain

mygrain Friend to nose goblins everywhere

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a Sony Cybershot and it takes GREAT pics! I paid a little over $250 about 3years ago. I've seen the better models run for a lot less recently so I bet he could get one for under $200 and get her a fat memory card and bag...

Oh BTW mine still works like new too.

9. ahelg

ahelg TPF Noob!

Go for this and you might en up buying a camera with a heck of a lot of noise at even the lowest ISO levels. In this case it's beter to buy less megapixels.

10. lazarus219

lazarus219 TPF Noob!

i like the kodak range for P&S- they have alot of different models in different price ranges and you can take your pick, the canons are also great cameras.

11. railman44

railman44 TPF Noob!