Are lenses from UK compatible with U.S bought DSLRs?

CaramelLatte

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Silly question, I guess, but I have a Rebel T5 and am leaving for the UK in October. would it be worth me taking it with me and buying new lenses there when I need them, or better to sell up now and buy new all-together? Are the lenses purchases in the U.S, compatible with U.K bought cameras and vice-versa? I feel like I should know this for sure, but am not...

Thank you for any input!

The only issue you might have is warranty. Nikons can have this issue; not sure about Canons.

I suggest you buy now as they will be higher in the UK. In Asia you can get the equipment cheaper than here. But in Europe it's a bit more. Then you have to pay their VAT. Which you can claim on exit and get it back. But at point of purchase you have to pay it.

To get VAT back you have to fill out forms and have proper receipts.

First, if you check, most lens will be made in Asia. So from that perspective, it doesn't matter much if you're buying it in the US or Europe or Africa.

The larger issues (as touched on mostly by others) will be: warranty, returns (if something goes wrong or it's flawed or missing a piece of equipment), declaring it when you re-enter the US, and VAT or any other kind of tax.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back