Are older generation dSLR cameras worth buying?

I bought a Canon 40D as my first digital and I really like it. I wouldn't go entry-level used personally, just because entry-level SLRs drive me nuts as far as layout, controls, and smaller size.

Older DSLRs are just fine, especially for someone on a budget looking for their first DSLR. In their day they were the cream of their respective crops, took great photos (in the right hands) and still can, as long as they're not damaged. Have a look on Photosig or other sites that let you filter by camera, and you'll see just how good they can be.

You'll want to check the number of shutter actuations on any that you're considering, and compare them to the life-expectancy for the models you're looking at. They can be found on the web with Google searches.

I think a Canon 500D will suffice. A Mark I or II may be a bit complex. I you have absolutely no interest in video, the new Canon 1100D may do the trick. It is kind of ugly, though. :p
Hose wisely, because your dad may get tired of the camera quickly.
I'm sure anyone on this forum would gladly take a 12mpx D700 over an 18mpx XSi (Canon vs Nikon flaming excepted of course :) )
I am pretty sure That the Rebel XSi is the 450D, not 500D, and that it's 12mp. Nevertheless, that's plenty of pixels to shoot with.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back