resevordg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jasonyoun.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
3232789814_312629df5a.jpg

This is a quick shot that I took at night during a thunder storm.
F/11 30 seconds Canon 5D @15mm

The question is this:
There are some houses on the right side of the photograph. How do you guys feel about removing them in photoshop? Would it make the photo better or worse or not have an effect?
Is it ethical to remove the houses?
Any other thought on this photo?

I had to really look to see the houses in the shot - I suspect you looking at them at 100% notice them a lot more than we do - my eyes are drawn to the rocks -and the cactus and the composition of hte image leads the eye towards those aspects are not towards the houses at all - one has to look to notice them. Also the colours of the shot do hide the houses as they are.

All in all I don't see the need to remove or edit them out - a very good landscape shot :)!

I agree with Overread, they are almost impossible to notice with great scrutiny. And like he said your composition leads the eyes well away from them.

And it is your photo, so you can edit them out without violating anyone else.

With the posted image size, the houses just blend into the background.

This may be different in a printed image ... but the center of attention is away from that area anyway.

excellent point every one. This is a small file.
I plan to print this a bit larger (24x36) or so.

Here is a close up of the houses by the cactus.
Note the film grain. I used a photoshop plugin called real grain by imagenomic.

This is probably about the size it will be in the final printed image (give or take) if you are looking at this on a 15 inch screen at 1440x900.

Also something that I find interesting is the aspherical distortion that can be seen here. This was taken @15mm with a top of the line sigma lens. But on the FF COMS that the 5D has there is still some distortion. This does not happen on the 40D that I shoot. I think I want to upgrade my lens to the Canon 16-35 f/2.8 L II. Have any of you out there used that lens on the 5D Mk I or II or 1DsIII? Do you like this lens?

3232101551_a9437fb2d9_o.jpg

Last edited:
i would just take them out and save yourself the question lol

I don't think they would be a distraction even at that printed size, but try cloning them out and seeing what it looks like on-screen.

Also, to what ethical dilemma were you referring? As Kegger said, it's your photo. :)

What do you guys think of these variations of the photo.

Actually there are two different photos here each done a few ways.

3232204699_008654bd0f_b.jpg

3232202147_d89be6d453_b.jpg

3232198925_ec16eb5b96_b.jpg

3233045578_494e5cc257_b.jpg

3233043682_74b8ae4cf7_b.jpg

hmm
1) not as much a fan of this look - it looks old if that is the lok you are after, but its not a look I like much

2) looks good in colours, but some areas are showing possible colour noise in the clouds - this might not be visable in a print, though at the size it is online it would have to be pretty noticable to start with. I like the colours, but think this noise is more of a distraction

3) definatly like - the look is smoother and I don't mind the heavy black edges to the shot - though its a little constricting in feel, the inner parts of hte shot are worth looking at anyway

4 and 4 - more natural looking shots - with 5 being the most nautal looking and I think the more interesting of the two ( especaily with the sky colours. Interestingly the houses show up more noticably in this version than in any other

weird, the B&W and Color both look equally cool. Cant decide between 1 and 3

Nice work

The questions about the buildings and the finished product are questions you can only answer yourself. I strongly advise developing your own judgement and tastes to avoid conflict when you start finding out no one understands what you are trying to express and there is no general consensus of good or bad- Only indifference.

That being said, if I were to have shot this photo, I would go with an 8x10 (or square) crop from just to the right of the saguaro, limiting the cloning that would have to be done to satisfy my personal tastes. I try to keep out man made "features"/civilization unless it is clearly historical.

Of the variations I find all but the first attractive. You are the artist, you show me which best reflects what you saw or felt when you shot the photo. Fine work. A beautiful shot.

I wasn't there, but possibly depending on what was going on behind the cactus, the homes could have been blocked out by stepping forward and to the right a few steps and aiming a bit to the left?

Very impressive.

You are the artist, you show me which best reflects what you saw or felt when you shot the photo. Fine work. A beautiful shot.

Thank you for the complement. One of the things I do is shoot a landscape and then file it away for 6 months to year. This way I Have some time forget the details of how the shoot looked and felt and I can get down to some editing.

Normally I know what to do when I edit, and in this case I know exactly what I want. But its been a long time since I have had a photo class and I miss the critiques. Hearing from other photographers, and some times non-photographers is a great way to grow. So its nice to hear from all you. Go on be nit-picky if you would like.

Thanks for all of your thoughts so far.

Most reactions

Back